BLUE- The Stone OEQ Homework #1

Open Ended Question

“Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned.  “I can’t tell one day from another.  Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work.  Why sow if the seeds don’t sprout?  Why plant if there’s never a harvest?  Why eat if I don’t get hungry?  Why go to bed at night, or get up in the morning, or do anything at all?  And the way it looks, so it will stay forever and ever!  I’ll shrivel from boredom if nothing else!”

• In The Stone, the moral lesson is that growth and change are a natural part of life.  How does Maibon learn this lesson?
  • Why do you think growth is an essential part of life?  Explain.

Use information from the selection to support your response.

33 Responses to “BLUE- The Stone OEQ Homework #1”

1. Farhan says:

comment (OEQ) by Farhan T
    “Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work. Why sow if seeds don’t sprout? Why plant if there’s never a harvest? Why eat if I don’t get hungry? Why go to bed at night, or get up in th morning, or do anything at all? And the way it looks, so it will stay forever and ever! I’ll shrivel from boredom if nothing else! Maibon said. He learns his lesson. One day he sees an old man and thinks of the horror of growing old. He then meets a dwarf named Doli, whom he saves, and is granted 1 wish. Maibon wishes for a stone that will keep him young forever. He learns that it is bad in three ways after he gets the stone: His wife, Madrona gets angry at him (“Maibon that stone is nothing but touble and I want no part of it!”); the stone begins to stop the world around him from changing; and the stone keeps coming back to cause trouble. Maibon finds Doli and manages to get rid of the stone, learning his lesson.
    I think growth is an important part of life. First of all, it is healthy to grow. Second of all, you, like Maibon, would get bored with life. Lastly, if you don’t grow old, you won’t accomplish anything in life. Maibon says,”And when I come to the end of my days, at least I can say I’ve lived each one of them.” A connection I have with this story is to the book, HARRY POTTER and the SORCEROR’S STONE. The stone is like the Sorceror’s stone; they both make you immortal. Only Albus Dumbledore understands the drwbacks of the Sorceror’s stone. The drawbacks are the same as the ones for the stone in the story. In conclusion, Maibon learns his lesson through all the trouble the stone causes, and I feel that growing is an essential part of life.

;-)

2. Raghav P says:

“Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work. Why sow if the seeds don’t sprout? Why plant if there’s never a harvest? Why eat if I don’t get hungry? Why go to bed at night, or get up in the morning, or do anything at all? And the way it looks, so it will stay forever and ever! I’ll shrivel from boredom if nothing else!” Maibon thought this when he realized that the stone had brought him nothing but trouble. The Stone, by Lloyd Alexander takes place in a rural area on a farm. Once Maibon saw an old man walking he decided that “There’s no fate worse in all the world. After worrying about growing old Maibon sees a dwarf who got his leg stuck under a log. He helps the dwarf, Doli, who then grants Maibon a wish for helping him. Maibon wishes that he could have the stone that makes something stop growing. Maibon gets the stone and joyfully goes to tell his wife, Modrona. His wife says, “Maibon, you’re a greater fool than ever I supposed! And selfish into the bargain!” After throwing the stone away, Maibon realizes nothing on the farm is growing, not even his family. He is at first happy about this, but then he figures out that wishing for the stone was a bad idea. Everyday is now the same. The eggs haven’t hatched, the calve isn’t born yet, the seeds aren’t growing, and nobody is aging. Maibon realizes that growth and change are a natural part of life.

I think growth is and essential part of life because staying young has many drawbacks. Everybody needs to grow and change and have something to look forward to in life. You should live your life to the fullest. This reminds me of the time I read an article about Bananas. It was about bananas and how they help you. It also included facts about bananas. If you eat bananas then your aging process might be slowed down. There are many benefits you can get by eating a banana. In conclusion, growth and change are a natural part of life.
    ;-)

3. kelli.zicha says:

I have two responses for you, Gaurav. Did you submit two?

4. Ally M, Brianna R, and Jules F says:

“Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work. Why sow if the seeds don’t sprout? Why plant if there’s never a harvest? Why eat if I don’t get hungry? Why go to bed at night, or get up in the morning, or do anything at all? And the way it looks, so it will stay forever and ever! I’ll shrivel from boredom if nothing else!” Maibon said after realizing he will never grow old. Maibon meets a dwarf named Doli. The tale is when you help a dwarf, the dwarf will grant you a wish. Maibon’s wish was to have a stone that makes you stay young forever. When he receives this gift, everything around him as well as him stopped growing. He then wanted to get rid of the stone but it was no use. The stone could not be given away unless he really wanted to vanish. He meets Doli again and he convinces Maibon to give up the stone. Maibon learns his lesson by realizing that there is nothing to look forward to in the future if everything doesn’t grow.

Without growth, friends and family will grow older and die and you will be left alone. Also, you will not be able to fulfill your dreams. This reminds me of Ally M, who is one of my youngest friends. Since she has a late birthday, everyone else’s birthday comes first. She feels that people think they can be the boss of her because they are older. She also feels she is the odd one out. This reminds me of the story because they both involve an age. It also shows how age is just a number. In closing, Maibon learns that growth and change are important parts of life.
    ;-)

5. Rafay S. says:

:sad: “Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work. Why sow if the seeds don’t sprout? Why plant if there’s never a harvest? Why eat if I don’t get hungry? Why go to bed at night, or get up in the morning, or do anything at all? And the way it looks, so it will stay forever and ever. I’ll shrivel of boredom if nothing else!” “Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work. Why sow if the seeds don’t sprout? Why plant if there’s never a harvest? Why eat if I don’t get hungry? Why go to bed at night, or get up in the morning, or do anything at all? And the way it looks, so it will stay forever and ever. I’ll shrivel of boredom if nothing else!” Maibon had realized this disaster after his farm was frozen in time. This had caused nothing to happen, his eggs didn’t hatch, his crops refused to grow, and many other misfortunate events had occurred during this period. Maibon didn’t want to age, but soon found out that it wasn’t true. He wanted adventure, but this wasn’t possible due to this time changing rock. If he didn’t age, nothing would happen, and he couldn’t have more kids, continue his farming career, and many other things.
    I can connect to this quote. It reminds me of a show, where a family wanted things to be the same forever. They soon realized they were unable to pass school, go to college, get their license, and couldn’t stay with their same friend. They lifted the “curse” off of them and learned that they needed to age. There are restrictions that come with this “gift.” In conclusion, Maibon learns that aging is natural and lets us have the privilege of having freedom.

6. Jennifer says:

“Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show my work. Why sow if the seeds don’t sprout? Why plant if there’s never a harvest? Why eat if I don’t get hungry? Why go to bed at night, or get up in the morning, or do anything at all? At the way it looks, so it will stay forever and ever! I’ll shrivel from boredom if nothing else!” Maibon is complaining about his wish for the stone in this quote. The day Maibon had walked home with the magical stone, his wife had yelled at him for being so selfish. Each day after that one, he didn’t have to do any work because newborn calves weren’t born yet and the eggs didn’t hatch. His wife forces him to get rid of it, and every time it comes back. Finally, he gets frustrated and tries to destroy it, but it was all in vain. Doli, one of the Fair Folk, helps him get rid of it. Maibon learns that growth and change is a natural part of life when he got distressed. He felt sorry for himself and the others who were suffering. Nothing was going like he had planned it to and everything seemed to be frozen in time.
    Growth is an essential part of life because if we didn’t, then people would miss out on some things in life. There are a few positive things about staying young, like you will be able to enjoy your life without the fear of growing old. If we stayed as kids, then we wouldn’t be able to drive and our friends and family die. This can be related to the time when my Grandpa died because it is a symbol that all people must eventually die. This relates to why growth is a part of life because he was an elderly, and people don’t keep on growing after that. In the end, growth and change will always be a part of life, and there isn’t anything that’s going to stop that.

Is it good? :lol: :grin: :smile:

7. Palavi D. says:

:arrow: “Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work. Why sow if the seeds don’t sprout? Why plant if there’s never a harvest? Why eat if I don’t get hungry? Why go to bed at night, or get up in the morning, or do anything at all? And the way it looks, so it will stay forever and ever! I’ll shrivel from boredom if nothing else!” Growth, as the character has learnt, is a crucial part of life. At first, Maibon sees a fragile old man at the edge of the road, he offers to help even though he is shuddering by the sight of the time-worn man. he soon realizes that he doesn’t ever want to become aged, he wanted to stay young forever. His thoughts were carried from the feeble old man to on the tiny dwarf at the edge of his fields, stuck under a log. He helps the dwarf and hastily asks for a wish. He asks to never grow old. Ever. The dwarf (Doli) reluctantly tells him about the stone but warns him against it, but Maibon, naturally, neglects him. After reaching home, the stone resting happily in his pocket, his wife, Modrona, has an immediate reaction to the stone “Maibon, you’re a greater fool than ever I supposed! And selfish into the bargain!” Modrona forces Maibon get rid of the stone, and Maibon half-heartedly does so. The stone magically appears the next day to Modrona’s unpleasant surprise. She yet again compalins to Maibon, this time stating: the eggs haven’t hatched yet, the already due calve still hasn’t been delivered, the seeds haven’t even sprouted yet, the baby is teething but no teeth are in eyesight, and nobody is aging. Maibon realizes this and slowly starts to panic, he takes the stone and stumbles across the same path as Doli. He accuses Doli for the stone, but Doli explains to him that everytime Maibon tried to supposedly “lose” the stone, in the back of his mind he really wanted the stone for keeps. Maibon pleads with Doli to take away the stone, Doli takes pity and accepted to take the stone from Maibon. Maibon then walks home peacfully. Hopefully thinking of the years to come.
    I think that growth is a required part of life. You need something to look forward to in life, and not to mention you will never develop intellegance-wise. this story reminds me of Harry Potter and the Sorccerer’s Stone. The stone is meant to make the drinker immortal, and never age. So anyone who wants the stone would be similar to Maibon. In conlusion, growing and developing is a rather enjoyable part of life, and you should enjoy every second of it: live life to the fullest. You never know what obstacle/challenges could come across your path!

8. Jooyoung says:

“Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work. Why sow if the seeds don’t sprout? Why plant if there’s never a harvest? Why eat if I don’t get hungry? Why go to bed at night, or get up in the morning, or do anything at all? And the way it looks, so it will stay forever and ever! I’ll shrivel from boredom if nothing else!” Maibon thought as he regretted his wish to never age. Before, he saw an old man and thought that there’s no fate worse in the entire world than to get old. First when he got the stone, he helped a dwarf named Doli get his leg out from a log, the Doli grants him his wish to never age. When Maibon gets home, the world around him stops in time. When Maibon tells Madrona, his wife, she gets really mad at him. Then because of his wife, he reluctantly tries to throw it away. But later he realized that nothing is changing. Maibon learned his lesson, that growth and change is a natural part of life.
    Growth is an essential part of life. If I don’t grow, then I won’t be able to drive. Growing is healthy. It is essential because then I can follow my dream that I can’t do right now. This reminds me of a movie ‘Click’ because Michael Newman (Adam Sandler) gets a remote and when he finally learns his lesson, he can’t get rid of the remote like Maibon can’t get rid of the stone. In conclusion, growth and change is natural.

9. Matthew C. (karate kid) says:

“Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work. Why sow if the seeds don’t sprout? Why plant if there’s never a harvest? Why eat if I don’t get hungry? Why go to bed at night, or get up in the morning, or do anything at all? And the way it looks, so it will stay forever and ever! I’ll shrivel from boredom if nothing else!” Maibon learns that being old rocks because a dwarf “cursed” him with a stone that makes him young forever. Though he realizes how boring it is. Then he throws away the rock and lives happily ever after.
    Growing older makes life exciting and gives you something to look foward to. This story reminds me of a man in a tv show who wants to be young again. In conclusion, growing old is an inevitable and fun part of life.
    I’m done

10. Gaurav S.(gman) says:

“Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work. Why sow if the seeds don’t sprout? Why plant if there’s never a harvest? Why eat if I don’t get hungry? Why go to bed at night, or get up in the morning, or do anything at all? And the way it looks, so it will stay forever and ever. I’ll shrivel of boredom if nothing else!” Maibon does not want to grow old and wants to stay young forever. He meets a dwarf named Doli that is stuck under a piece of log. Maibon helps Doli. Maibon only helps Doli if he will grant Maibon a wish. Maibon wants a magic stone that will make Maibon stay young forever. Doli gives Maibon the stone and runs off. The next day, Maibon feels great. He works for hours and hours and doesn’t feel tired. This kept happening for the next few days. After a couple of days, Maibon began to notice that the chickens weren’t hatching eggs and the cows weren’t giving birth. His wife, Modrona, insisted Maibon to get rid of the stone. Maibon refused. A couple of days after that, the apple tree didn’t grow anything and the crops wouldn’t grown either. Again, his wife insisted for him to get rid of it. Maibon agrees, reluctantly. He tries to dig up the stone, but the stone back. He tried to hammer it with a mallet, but nothing of the stone was damaged. After a few days, he realizes that he can’t get rid of the stone. One day while he was working on the field, he saw the dwarf again. The dwarf said to him that if he had the stone, everything around him would stay young too. Maibon gives the stone back to the dwarf and runs off. He learns that growing older is a natural part of life and that it is exciting to grow older.

Growth is an essential part of life because it makes life more interesting and gives you something to look forward to. I remember in a movie that a person wanted to stay young forever. In conclusion, growing older is a mandatory part in life.

Yeah I’m done!!
    :twisted:

11. Gaurav S. says:

“Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work. Why sow if the seeds don’t sprout? Why plant if there’s never a harvest? Why eat if I don’t get hungry? Why go to bed at night, or get up in the morning, or do anything at all? And the way it looks, so it will stay forever and ever! I’ll shrivel from boredom if nothing else.” In The Stone, the moral lesson is that growth and change are a natural part of life. Maibon learns this lesson because he gets cursed by a dwarf named Doli. He tries to get rid of a stone, reluctantly, that Doli gave him. He tries everything, but he just can’t get rid of it. Before this, Maibon was very happy but his wife Modrona was not happy why he got the stone. Growth is an essential part of life because when you grow older, you can accomplish what you’ve always wanted to do. I remember a movie that I watched that had a character that didn’t want to grow older. In conclusion, growing older is a mandatory part of life.

I’m done!!
    :twisted:

12. Mason S. says:

“Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work. Why sow if the seeds don’t aprout? Why plant if there’s never a harvest? Why eat if I don’t get hungry? Why go to bed at night, or get up in the morning, or do anything at all? And the way it looks, so it will stay forever and ever! I’ll shrivel from boredom if nothing else!” In the beginning of “The Stone” Maibon was too stuborn to see that becoming old is a part of life and that everyone goes through it. When Maibon looked into the field he heard something moving by the fallen down tree. He went to go see and saw a dwarf there stuck under it. Maibon rescued Doli the dwarf and Doli granted Maibon one wish. His wish was to have one of those stones that would keep him young forever. He said, “I’ve heard that you Fair Folk have magic stones that can keep a man young forever,” Maibon whispered to Doli. Doli tried to worn Maibon by saying, “Those stones-we’d sooner not give them away. There’s a difficulty-” Maibon cut him off before he had a chance to say it was cursed. Maibon takes his newly obtained, magical stone back into the house with him and his wife, Modrona, is furious with him when she finds out. Modrona yelled at him and said, “Why didn’t you get something more useful or something for the baby!!!!!!! :!: ” The next day Maibon saw that the pregant cow on their farm hadn’t had her calf, the hen’s eggs hadn’t hached, and he didn’t feel any older. Soon Modrona yelled at Maibon again to get rid of the stone so that night Maibon dug a hole not to deep and put the stone in it. The next day the stone appeared inside the house and Modrona got even madder. So this time Maibon threw the stone down the well and saw it sink towards the bottom. Later that evening Maibon heard something in the well and saw the bucket coming back up with the stone in it. Next Maibon pounded it with a hammer not even a chip. Doli came back and told him that he wouldn’t listen he just had to have his way. It kept on coming back because in the back of Maibon’s mind he still wanted it. Maibon did as Doli had said to do if he wanted to get rid of the stone. He threw it on the ground near the stump and ran home as fast as he could. After he got rid of the stone the hens hatched their eggs, the calf was born, and the baby had his first tooth. This is how Maibon learned this lesson.
    I think growth is an essential part of life because if someone were to stay young forever they wouldn’t experience everything life has to offer. I can relate to this because I really want to be 21. If I were to stay the same age I would never become 21 or be able to do all the cool things the age has to offer. For example, I wouldn’t be allowed in a casino. That is why I want to grow up and not stay the same age. This is why growing up and changing is a good part of life.

13. Matt K. says:

”Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. ”I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work. Why sow if the seed’s don’t sprout? Why plant if there’s never a harvest? Why eat if I don’t get hungry? Why go to bed at night, or get up in the morning, or do anything at all? And the way it looks, so it will stay forever and ever! I’ll shrivel from boredom if nothing else! This was lectured by Maibon in a very serious voice. Maibon in the beginning thought that growing older would be a terrrible thing but that wasn’t the case. He learns many different ways that growth and change can be wonderful thing. Like when the world stops moving and Maibon knows he has to let the stone go even if his wife Madrona was furious with him for keeping the stone. With everything not growing he realizes that growth and change are a good thing. Maibon throws the stone and the stone vanishes forever.
    This is why i think growth is an essential part of life. I think that you would want to go through new and exciting adventures everyday. As you can see Maibon learns that growing is a fantastic thing in life. Also, growing is very healthy for you. This reminds me of the time when each school year happens you really don’t want to go because you think it is going to be harder but it really turns into a great adventure. In conclusion, Maibons learns several reasons that growth is a natural part of life. I thought growth was a good thing because it was healthy. In the end, growth is a magnificent thing in life you never know what will happen next.

14. Raghav P says:

15. Gaurav says:

Yes. :mrgreen:

16. Sara I. says:

“Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work. Why sow if the seeds don’t sprout? Why plant if there’s never a harvest? Why eat if I don’t get hungry? Why go to bed at night, or get up in the morning, or do anything at all? And the way it looks, so it looks, so it will stay forever and ever!” I’ll shrivel from boredom if nothing else!” Maibon learns his moral lesson in a hard way. Maibon was driving up a road when he saw an old man. After seeing the old the man, Maibon shriveled and felt desperate not to grow old. “ah, ah what a sorry thing it is to have your bones creaking and crackling, and dim eyes, and dull wits.” this quote shows Maibon feels sorrow about growing old. Maibon desperately wants a way to never grow old. As one day Maibon was saying, “if that’s the way things are now, the older I grow, the worse it will be!” in the field working he saw s dwarf named Dolli. As for Dolli, his foot was stuck underneath a log. Being the kind guy Maibon was, he quickly helped the dwarf out. As a reward for getting Dolli’s foot unstuck Maibon received a stone that let you stay the same age forever. But with the stone everything stopped growing. “that’s better than nothing happening at all. I’ve had my share of being young; I’ll take my share of being old. And when I come to the end of my days, at least I can say I’ve lived each one of them.” This quote shows that Maibon has finally realized that growing old is a big part of life.
    Growing is a essential part of life because growing old is a natural part of life. Staying young has many drawbacks. Everyone needs to grow and change and have something to look forward to life. This remind me of a series called Harry Potter. In this story there was a kid named Harry who was a talented wizard. As Harry’s first in Hogwarts(a wizard school) Harry had to protect a stone. For if he didn’t a very bad wizard would steal it. This stone had the power to show good things and happy moments. Voldamaort(the bad wizard) wanted to use this stone to kill everyone. In closing, growing up is an important part of life because if you don’t grow up you’ll have nothing to look forward to.
    -phew im done :!: yeah :!: :?: :???: :???: :arrow: :cool: :cry: :evil: :evil: :grin: :idea: :lol: :mrgreen: :o :oops: :oops: :razz: :roll: :roll: :roll: :sad: :shock: :shock: :shock: :smile: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :x :x :| :| ;-)

17. Sara I. says:

-phew im done :!: yeah :!: :?: :???: :???: :???: :???: :arrow: :cool: :cry: :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :grin: :idea: :lol: :mrgreen: :o :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :razz: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :shock: :shock: :shock: :smile: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :x :x :x :| :| :| ;-) ;-)

18. Jooyoung says:

Growth is an essential part of life. If I don’t grow, then I won’t be able to drive. Growing is healthy. It is essential because then I can follow my dream that I can’t do right now. This reminds me of when I wanted to stay as a kindergarder forever because then I won’t have to do hard things, like tests. But now, in sixth grade I have more privledges. Maibon also wanted to stay young forever. In conclusion, growth and change is natural.

19. Sophia says:

It’s excellent! :lol:

20. Jose L. says:

This is why i think growth is an essential part of life. I think that you would want to go through new and exciting adventures every day. As you can see Maibon learns that growing is a fantastic thing in life. Also, growing is very healthy for you. This reminds me of the time when it was the first day of middle school and I didn’t know anyone in the school and made a good a exciting adventure for me. In conclusion, Maibons learns several reasons that growth is a natural part of life. I thought growth was a good thing because it was healthy. In the end, growth is a magnificent thing in life you never know what will happen next.

21. Palavi D. says:

:arrow: Doli looks weird. Is he supposed to look like that??? :???: :?: :?: :?: :?:

22. kelli.zicha says:

“Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work. In The Stone, Maibon, the protagonist, learns that growth and change are a natural part of life. Maibon is exposed to the theme of this story as he approaches obstacles and learns to overcome them. While traveling home one day, Maibon encounters an elderly cottager. From this encounter he decides that he never wants to grow old. He says, “There’s no fate worse in all the world.” He uses negative connotations to describe the aging process. Continuing on his journey, Maibon surprisingly finds a red-headed dwarf named Doli whose leg is stuck under a log. Maibon frees Doli who then grants him a wish in return. Maibon wishes to never grow old. Days pass and Maibon enjoys his youthful age. However, he soon realizes that everything else on the farm has stopped growing as well. Because of this, he learns that growth is necessary.

Growth is an essential part of life. Everyone must grow and change. It is through change that we learn and understand ourselves as well as others. Each day we continuously face new challenges and grow as a person. Without growth, life would be dull and utterly pointless. It could be quite possible that Maibon feared change, so he ran from it. Even though change may sometimes be quite scary, we must look it in the eye and face the challenges that approach us. Sometimes, I, too, am frightened by change. I remember when I graduated high school. I was nervous about leaving a familiar place and entering into a whole new world. Rather than run from my fears, I decided to look them in the eye and face each one head on. I attended college and embraced the change in my life. Through my college years, I grew academically and soon graduated with a degree in education and psychology. Looking back, I am proud of my accomplishments. One goal in particular that I set for myself was to graduate with honors. I achieved this goal as I graduated Magna Cum Laude. If I ran away from my fears, I would not be the educator who stands before you today. Sometimes we have to think about the things that we fear and why we might fear them. Sometimes we have to learn from our own mistakes by making them ourselves. By taking risks, we look fear in the eye and embrace new challenges. In closing, growth and change are both necessary in life.

23. Shefali says:

It is awesome!!!!!!!!! :???: ;-) :razz:

24. Shefali says:

Awesome!!!!!!!!! I love your connection. :smile: :razz: :razz: :razz: :smile: :smile: :smile:

25. Grace says:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: great job!!!!

26. Aslesha says:

Good job!!!!!!!! :razz:

27. Aslesha says:

Good job!!!!!!!! :smile: :mrgreen: :smile: :mrgreen: :smile:

28. Farhan T. says:

Comment by Farhan T.

Jesse feels discouraged at the end of the story. He feels this way for one reason. His brother Michael. Michael is a better baseball player than Jesse. When they first go to tryouts, they are both very confident. Jesse goes up, but performs rather poorly. Michael then goes up and does amazing and Jesse can see that Michael is going to make the team, and he probably won’t. At the end of the story, he had to endure the thought of Michael playing, and him sitting in the bleachers. “He imagined Michael running home with a uniform under his arm while he walked home empty-handed.
    I think that Jesse’s reaction to the tryouts was appropriate. He wanted to play baseball more than anything else, and his chance was ruined because he preformed poorly. That wasn’t what really brought him down. The fact that his brother did better than him and was going to make the team for sure brought him down. “Jesse was jealous of his brother’s athletic display.” I once was in envy of a sibling. My sister had gotten out of “Ski School” before me, and got to go on the slope to ski. I tried, but my stupid, idiot of a teacher wouldn’t let me go because he thought that I couldn’t turn. But after lunch, I went up the slope and outperformed my sister, especially in turning. In conclusion, Jesse felt discouraged because Michael was better than him at baseball, and would make the team for sure, and Jesse’s reaction to the tryouts was appropriate.
    :twisted: :smile: :shock:
    Well, I’m done :razz:

29. brianna r says:

When Angela decides to take responsibility for they broken window, she imagines how her classmates will treat her. Angela and her class were waiting for their teacher, Mr. Phillips to come. While they were waiting, some kids in the class started throwing a football around. Angela knew it wasn’t a good idea but she didn’t say anything. The kids hit the window with the football and glass shattered. After, Mr. Phillips came and became very angry. He asked who had done this but nobody confessed. Mr. Phillips said if nobody confesses then everybody will have extra homework assignments. Angela confesses to the crime although she didn’t do it. Angela imagines that her clssmates will think of her as a hero. “I pictured the, hoisting me on their shoulders while chanting my name,” Angela thought. I think Angela’s expectations weren’t realistic. I think this because if they did that then Mr. Phillips would realize Angela didn’t break the window. This reminds me of when my brother and sister were fighting and my sister pushed my brother to hard. I felt bad so I told my mom that I pushed my brother. I think I t was the right thing to do although I got punished. In closing, Angela confessed for something she didn’t do.

30. Sara I says:

In the story, “The Snowball Effect,” when Angela decides to take responsibility for the broken window, she imagines how her classmates will treat her. Angela imagines her classmate would think Angela. This trouble all began all in fifth period. Angela and her classmates were sitting down waiting for the tardy, Mr. Philips, when suddenly a couple of her classmates started throwing a football around. Suddenly the football crashed through the window, and broke the window. A few seconds later Mr. Philips came in and he was not happy. “Two seconds later Mr. Philips came in and he was not happy.” He looked at the whole class who did this accident, if no one confesses the whole class will suffer the consequences. Angela thought to herself, “Besides, if I confess to the crime, my class mates would think she is a hero. She also knows the class would think she is a hero because they wouldn’t have to do that extra assignment.
    I think Angela’s expectations were not realistic. Instead of her classmates being happy for her they were shocked. And plus they didn’t give her any pat on the back, and poor Angela had to pay the consequences. This reminds me of a book called, Because of Widixie. In this book a girl named Opal finds a shabby dog at a store called Windixie. Opal asks her dad the preacher if they could keep the dog. Her dad takes one look at the ugly dog and says no we’ll get a healthier dog. But Opal stands up for Windixie, and says he’s fine dog and I would like to keep him. In closing, I think Angela’s expectation that her classmates would think she is a hero for confessing something she didn’t do was not a realistic vision or theory.

31. Sara I. says:

The author of, “watch your step” seems to know a lot about jellyfish. I think the author is not and afraid of jellyfish, because he only tells details about jellyfish and also says, “Even so, you should not think a jellyfish as a mean creature.” This quote explains the author id trying to express that jellyfish are dangerous but not mean. The author seems to know a lot about jellyfish, he seems interested. “Its body is 90% water.” The author also seems cautious about jellyfish, “So be careful when swimming in the ocean and when you’re walking on the beach watch your step.” He also deadly facts about the jellyfish like, “The most dangerous jellyfish is the Portuguese man- of- war. “ So I think the author is scared but all the same as being interested of jellyfish. The author seems to know many interesting facts about jellyfish, and seems to know deadly facts as well. Also he seems very cautious, about these inflicted creatures.
    I think jellyfish are animals that should be feared of, because they can kill a person. They can also poison a person to death. This reminds me of a series called Harry Potter. IN this series Harry Potter is a famous good wizard. But all the good wizards feared of a horrible and wicked wizard named Voldamort. He tries to kill all the good wizards and muggles (regular people just like you and me. In conclusion, I think the author is afraid and cautious of jellyfish, also I think jellyfish should be feared of, because they can sting you to death.

32. Vittoria says: