GREEN- The Stone OEQ Homework #1

Open Ended Question

“Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned.  “I can’t tell one day from another.  Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work.  Why sow if the seeds don’t sprout?  Why plant if there’s never a harvest?  Why eat if I don’t get hungry?  Why go to bed at night, or get up in the morning, or do anything at all?  And the way it looks, so it will stay forever and ever!  I’ll shrivel from boredom if nothing else!”

• In The Stone, the moral lesson is that growth and change are a natural part of life.  How does Maibon learn this lesson?
  • Why do you think growth is an essential part of life?  Explain.

Use information from the selection to support your response.

31 Responses to “GREEN- The Stone OEQ Homework #1”

1. Aashneil: The man!!! says:

“Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work. Why sow if the seeds don’t sprout? Why plant if there’s never a harvest? Why eat if I don’t get hungry? Why go to bed at night, or get up in the morning, or do anything at all? And the way it looks, so it will stay forever and ever! I’ll shrivel from boredom if nothing else!” Maibon said this after he got the stone from Doli the magical dwarf. He thought his life would be great after getting the stone and staying young “forever”. It turned out EVERYTHING stopped growing. Maibon gets bored of living the SAME life again and again. Modrona, his wife, gets angry with him because the calf isn’t born yet, the eggs haven’t hatched, the babies tooth hasn’t grown, and the apple tree refuses to grow as well. So growing up is the way Maibon can live a good life.

I think growth is an essential part of life because if you are bad at something, as you get older, your body grows, and so does that skill which was hard to learn. For example, in pre-school we had nap time. I loved that part and never wanted to grow up and say bye to nap time. Now when I think about it, it wouldn’t be worth it to be adding 1+1, the left and right game, are even block stacking, just over an hour of sleep. In most childrens books I have read as a young kid, that character has a perfect life– eat, sleep, play and watch tv. I would think “wow, wouldn’t it be great to live a life like his?” but doing that day in and day out, isn’t that great. I would get really board. Another example is movies around the world. There are actors who are kids and can’t live a regular child’s life. They wouldn’t want to grow up as some person in a movie, but as a real kid. Learning from their mistakes, experiencing new things, and facing challenges. So what I think is life is natural, and just go with it. Maibon gets bored of his life as a young lad, he gets yelled at by his wife, and learns a valuable lesson. In the end, growth is part of life, go with it and enjoy it! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

P.S. LEAVE COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS!!! :)

2. Gabbyy hehehehhee =] says:

Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work. Why sow if the seeds don’t sprout? Why plant if there’s never a harvest? Why eat if I don’t get hungry? Why go to bed at night, or get up in the morning, or do anything at all? And the way it looks, so it will stay forever and ever! I’ll shrivel from boredom if nothing else!” Said Maibon when he realized that being young forever wasn’t worth it. His crops weren’t growing, his children weren’t growing and suddenly everything started going terribly wrong. In the end, he decides all these troubles aren’t worth it and it is normal to grow old.

The lesson in this story is that growth and change are a natural part of life. Maibon learns this lesson because he soon learns that there is nothing to be excited about in your life as one age, and life gets boring soon enough. This reminds me of elementary school when I was so scared to come to middle school and wanted to stay there forever. Now I realize that everybody has to get older and learn new things. I thought that everything was going to be so much harder and the teachers were going to be really hard on us. What really happened was that the teachers tried their best to help us through the change and to get comfortable. I think that being in elementary school forever would be a nightmare and you would never mature into an “independent learner.” :razz: :razz: Learning new things, facing challenges and getting older is part of life and you have to EMBRACE IT! ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

COMMENT PLEASE =)

3. Jack G. says:

“Nothing is moving as it should,” he groaned. “I can’ t tell one day from the another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to nothing to show for my work.” said Maibon the farmer. Before this he was driving in a car and saw an old man which made him worry that he was getting too old. He went home and complained to his wife but she didn’t want to hear it. Later he look at his tools which were also old and rusty, but then he saw something that he thought was a pig that escaped from its pen but it turned out to be Doli a dwarf that was a fair folk. Doli’s foot was trapped under a log and Maibon helped him and Doli agreed to grant him a wish. He wished to never grow old. The dwarf gave him a stone. His wish was granted but not just he stopped growing his whole farm didn’t grow. This made them worry a little. His wife forced him to try and get rid of the rock, but it kept coming back. Later after he confronted Doli told him the story. Maibon learned the lesson the hard way by having to get involved with a stone and the fair folk. He had to get rid of the stone because he rely on other things to grow and he doesn’t grow he has no reason to live or look forward to anything.
    Growth is an essential part of life because there will be nothing to enjoy, nothing to look forward to, no reason to feel happy, sad or any emotion what so ever. This happens because if you never die you can just sit there for 2 million years and just say that “I have all the time in the world.” This reminds me of the time I was afraid to die because I would just lay in my coffin forever. Now I realize that it is just as bad to live forever. I agree that is would be fun to live longer but DEFINITELY not forever.

4. Robert R. says:

“Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work” said Maibon. Maibon had met Dolis who grants Maibon one wish. Maibon wishes to never grow old.
    Maibon learns that growth and change are a natural part of life because nothing changes and maibon is getting bored of everything being the same. Modrona is angry with her husband because noting is growing in the farms she tells him to get rid of the stone that makes Maibon young again. Maibon trys to bury the stone, break the stone, and drop the stone down a well. But every time he trys to get rid of the stone it comes back the next day.
    I think that growth is a essential part of life because you will never face new challenges and will never experience new things or learn new things if you never grown old. This reminds of when I was little and imagined how cool it would be if I stayed young forever. And now that I am older this story has changed the way I think about never growing old.
    In closing Maibon learns that growth and change are a natural part of life.
    :| :cry: :roll:

5. VICTORIA p. (YELLO JELLO), AND TERESA WHOS PINK JELLO AND BELLA says:

“Nothings moving along as it should, ” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothings changes, there’s nothing to look foward to, and nothing to show my work. Maibon learns this lesson by realizing that everything in his life is going wrong. For Example, Maibon’s son’s teeth won’t grow in. Also, the cow can’t give birth, the chicken is not able to hatch her eggs, the wheat isn’t growing, and the tree’s fruit isn’t growing either. He also learns that growth and change is a natural part of life.

Growth is a essential part of life because you learn a vauable life lessons as you grow older. This reminds me of the time when we all played outside and pretended we had our own world. In our world we pretended that we stayed the same age forever. We had our own secert area were no one knew about our secert charm. :lol: :lol: In closing, Maibon learns that growth and change is a natural part of life.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :razz:
    HEYYYY MISS ZICHA!!!!!!

6. Hari says:

Good job Aashneil! lol “the man”
    By the way like the ending :mrgreen:

7. Jackie K says:

“Nothing is moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work…” The main character Maibon says this quote in response to changes in what’s going on around him.
    In this story, Maibon learns that growth and change is natural. He learns this lesson thanks to a magic stone which freezes time. Everything stops growing on Maibon’s farm. In the text, Maibon’s wife, Madrona, shouts “Will you get rid of it! We’ve had nothing but trouble since you brought it into the house,” which shows her frustration. Maibon finally decides that it is a good thing to grow.
    I think growth is an essential part of life. I believe this because without it, you will never face new challenges. These include buying a house, getting a job, learning to drive, and having a family. All of these challenges come when you’re older. I can relate Maibon’s predicament to the story of Peter Pan. Because he lives in Neverland, Peter never gets older and will always stay a kid. However, his friends like Wendy, John, and Michael all become older and leave him behind. This saddens the young boy.
    As you can see, growth is a very important part of life. :grin:

8. Roma says:

“Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work. Why sow if the seeds don’t sprout? Why plant if there’s never a harvest? Why eat if I don’t get hungry? Why go to bed at night, or get up in the morning, or do anything at all? And the way it looks, so it will stay forever and ever! I’ll shrivel from boredom if nothing else,” complained Maibon soon after he realized that he didn’t need to stay young forever for life to be easier. Recently Maibon had seen a dwarf, named Doli with his leg stuck beneath a log. Maibon decided to help Doli from tugging his leg out from under the log. Right after he remembered that if a human helps a fair folk, like Doli, that Doli has to follow the orders. Recently Maibon spotted an old rickety mad who was slow, week and had white hair, walking across the street. Maibon decided he didn’t want to grow old then. So Maibon asked the dwarf for a magical stone he had heard of that keeps a young man from growing old. So after that, Maibon reached the side effects and realized nothing is changing, and nothing is growing. Madrona, Maibon’s beloved wife, demanded that Maibon would destroy the rock and run home to stop this nonsense. Maibon followed her orders but the stone still returned.Soon after, he spotted Doli in the woods and demanded to take the stone back. So Doli lectured him for not listening to Doli when he informed him about the side effects, but the stone was taken back. Maibon learns his lesson by experiencing the life he would of had, if he never grew, that he wouldn’t be able to take on to new challenges and face the difficulties. Plus, he had to learn to “Live life to the fullest.”

Growth is an essential part of life because you get to experience more things, and gain more privileges. For example, If a five year old remained five forever, than she would never go to prom, drive, go to middle school, or live through her dreams, like if she wanted to grow up to design dresses, she won’t grow up! I can connect to this because once, I watched a ton of home videos from when I was very young. I remember life was easy and more fun. I had everyone there for me and no worries. Then I wished that I was three all over again. But then I wouldn’t have experienced the wonderful things that have happened as I grew, like getting a cell phone, acing tests, and the summer because the summer is different when you have school during the year. So people, similar to Maibon should realize that growth is an essential part of life, and if you are young forever, you would want to take life to the fullest and gain more privileges. In my opinion and many others too, never growing means living the same day again and again for the rest of your life, and that is something you and I definitely don’t want.

;-)

9. Aparna says:

“Nothing’s moving along as it should,” Maibon groaned. “I can’t tell from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work.” Maibon is suffering from more and more ennui as the stone is with him.
    Maibon learns his lesson that growth and change are a natural part of life in many ways. Every day, Modrona, Maibon’s wife, kept yelling at him to get rid of the stone once and for all because of the lack of food. Nothing on the farm grew, such as wheat, grass, and the apple tree. In addition, the hen didn’t lay its eggs, and the cow didn’t give birth to a calf, and Maibon’s child didn’t have a tooth coming in yet. As the days go on, Maibon is getting fed up of living the same exact life every day. He wants to experience more in life.

Growth is an important aspect of life because it teaches us many things, and opens doors to new responsibilities, and, a whole new life. For example, when you are an adult, you will have a whole new life because you’ll have a family of your own, children, a job, and so many more things to handle, like bills. You will face new challenges every day of your life. This reminds me of the time when I entered the new atmosphere of a middle school building. As much as I was nervous, I also felt like a mature kid. In closing, Maibon learns that growth and change is a natural part of life.

10. Chloe G says:

“Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work. Maibon learns his lesson by the stone. The stone teaches him that everyone needs to change and grow up, and everyone has to grow old. His lesson shows that no one should want to stay the same age forever. Another way he learns his lesson is by nothing grows on the farm, he starts getting bored with nothing to do, and Modrona his wife gets angry because of the stupid stone.

I think growth is important in life because everyone needs to go through every stage in life. No one should be left out of every part of life. This reminds me of when I saw a show that a guy got a wish and it came true that he wanted to stay the same age forever. He hated it and wanted to switch back to his normal self. Growing leads you to experience new stuff, and it lets you learn as you get older. In conclusion, I think Maibon made the right choice by throwing the stone away. :mrgreen:

11. Sachit says:

Sachit

“Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work,” these are the words Maibon said. In The Stone, the moral lesson is that growth and change are a natural part of life. Maibon learns this lesson in a very interesting way. One day Maibon saw an elderly peasant, struggling to walk down the road. At once Maibon began thinking about growing old and how horrible it would be. Later in the day Maibon finds a fair folk member, Doli, with his foot stuck under a log. So Maibon helps Doli and in return Doli granted Maibon a wish. The wish was a stone that keeps you young forever. Doli tried to warn Maibon, but Maibon cut him off and made Doli give him the stone. For the next few days Maibon didn’t grow a single hair but nothing else grew either. The wheat didn’t sprout, the chicken’s eggs didn’t hatch, the apple tree didn’t have a single blossom, and the cow was long past due to calve. At first Maibon was blinded with selfish happiness, but soon he noticed the life around him and became outraged. He tried getting rid of the stone various times but it kept coming back. Then while he was trying to get rid of the stone he saw the dwarf from the corner of his eye. Furious, he asked the dwarf why had he not warned him. Doli simply said to Maibon that he attempted to but he had cut him off. Then Maibon asked Doli how he could get rid of it. Doli said “You must wish from the bottom of your heart to get rid of it.” Agreeing, Maibon dug a hole put the stone in and ran all the way back home. When he looked back he shouted a cry of joy for all his wheat had grown, and the apple tree branches were laden with fruit. This is how Maibon learns his lesson.

I think growth is an essential part of life because its a natural and there’s always new challenges. You also learn and experience different things as you grow. This reminds me of the time when I was around my little baby cousin and she was having difficulty walking she would try for one second and then go right back to crawling. Nonetheless we kept pushing her to try. Eventually she got the trick and wouldn’t go back to crawling. This explains growth is an essential part of life.In closing, the main lesson that Maibon learnt was that everyone has to grow up.

12. Tejas says:

“Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work. Why sow if the seeds don’t sprout? Why plant if there’s never a harvest? Why eat if I don’t get hungry? Why go to bed at night, or get up in the morning, or do anything at all? And the way it looks, so it will stay forever and ever! I’ll shrivel from boredom if nothing else!” Maibon learns this by getting a stone and experiencing how boring everything is I fit is the same. Maibon sees an old man and starts to think about how he will be when he is old. That day he finds a dwarf that has his foot stuck under a log. Maibon says that if the dwarf gives him whatever he wants he will help him. The dwarf, Doli gives Maibon a stone that will never make him old. This is exactly what Maibon wants. After some days Maibon starts to find out that it is not only him that stays young it is also everything around him. He notices that growth and change are a natural part of life.
    Growth and change are a part of natural life. If you don’t learn then you won’t get any better. You will not experience new thing. If that doesn’t happen then you won’t ever face a challenge. Once I had a lot of candy and my dad told me to share it. I said no. My sister started to cry. My dad bought her a more candy. I asked my dad why she got that much candy. He said that you didn’t want to share. So I figured that being selfish doesn’t get you anywhere. In conclusion Maibon finds out growth and change are a natural part of life.
    ;-) :| :x :twisted: :smile: :shock: :sad: :roll: :razz: :o :lol: :grin: :evil: :cry: :cool: :???:

13. Tejas says:

14. Josie says:

“Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work. Why so if the seeds don’t sprout? Why plant if there’s never a harvest? Why eat if I don’t get hungry? Why go to bed at night, or get up in the morning, or do anything at all? And the way it looks, so it will stay forever and ever! I’ll shrivel from boredom if nothing else!” Maibon said this after he got the stone from Doli the magical dwarf. He thought his life would be greater than ever getting the stone and staying young forever. It turned out everything stopped growing. Maibon gets bored of living the same life happend over and over again when nothing is grownig. His wife gets angry with him because the the eggs haven’t hatched. If Maibon grows up he can live a great life.
    I think growing up is a good thing. Because if you dont grow up you don’t get more conplex. So if you don’t grow up your life will be a bored. This reminds me of when I was young and I had a birthday party. I whished that this day will go forever and forever. I wished that because I had a lot of presents and I keep on getting it. Well now I realize that was a silly wish.
    In conclusion, if you don’t get older your life would be a bored. You will not get more conplex. So growing up is a way of life. Everyone will get old and adventrually die. :shock: :sad:

15. Sophia says:

Awesome job Jackie! I love your connection to Peter Pan! That’s a really great idea. Did you ever read Peter and the Starcatchers? It really gets into the emotion of him not growing up!

16. aricha says:

:mrgreen: “Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work. Why sow if the seeds don’t sprout?Maibon doesn’t want to become a old man, he wants to stay the same way he is now. So Maibon helps this elf/dwarf/leprechaun out. The leprechaun grants him a wish. After the wish he realizes it was a bad mistake. Everything on his farm stops growing :!: :shock: His wife Madrona gets mad at him because no chicken will lay egg, the cows won’t give milk. Maibon tries to get rid of the stone but the stone won’t leave him alone. Finally the stone goes away, and Maibon knows not to wish for that wish again. Everything turns back to normal again. Maibon learns that growing up is a natural part of life.

Growing up is a natural part of life. When you grow up you can experience new things in life, and you can face new challenges. You can have your own family and go to high school. There a lot of things you do when you grow. Growing up can be hard sometimes but you just say don’t give up! And surely you will reach your goal. A connection I can make is that one time at a certain age I wanted to stay that age! But now i know not to! :lol: I liked this story! :mrgreen:

17. Chloe G says:

I think this is amazing! :!:

18. Shefali says:

Awesome job Aprana! Like the connection. :cool: :razz:

19. Shefali says:

Nice job Aricha! :mrgreen: :arrow:

20. kelli.zicha says:

“Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work. In The Stone, Maibon, the protagonist, learns that growth and change are a natural part of life. Maibon is exposed to the theme of this story as he approaches obstacles and learns to overcome them. While traveling home one day, Maibon encounters an elderly cottager. From this encounter he decides that he never wants to grow old. He says, “There’s no fate worse in all the world.” He uses negative connotations to describe the aging process. Continuing on his journey, Maibon surprisingly finds a red-headed dwarf named Doli whose leg is stuck under a log. Maibon frees Doli who then grants him a wish in return. Maibon wishes to never grow old. Days pass and Maibon enjoys his youthful age. However, he soon realizes that everything else on the farm has stopped growing as well. Because of this, he learns that growth is necessary.

Growth is an essential part of life. Everyone must grow and change. It is through change that we learn and understand ourselves as well as others. Each day we continuously face new challenges and grow as a person. Without growth, life would be dull and utterly pointless. It could be quite possible that Maibon feared change, so he ran from it. Even though change may sometimes be quite scary, we must look it in the eye and face the challenges that approach us. Sometimes, I, too, am frightened by change. I remember when I graduated high school. I was nervous about leaving a familiar place and entering into a whole new world. Rather than run from my fears, I decided to look them in the eye and face each one head on. I attended college and embraced the change in my life. Through my college years, I grew academically and soon graduated with a degree in education and psychology. Looking back, I am proud of my accomplishments. One goal in particular that I set for myself was to graduate with honors. I achieved this goal as I graduated Magna Cum Laude. If I ran away from my fears, I would not be the educator who stands before you today. Sometimes we have to think about the things that we fear and why we might fear them. Sometimes we have to learn from our own mistakes by making them ourselves. By taking risks, we look fear in the eye and embrace new challenges. In closing, growth and change are both necessary in life.

21. Aparna says:

Great job on the OEQ, Roma!! Lots of detail ;-)

22. Aparna says:

Good job Ms. Zicha!! It’s the best OEQ of them all!! ;-)

23. Aparna says:

Great job Jackie!! I really like your response. :mrgreen:

24. Juli E. (Softball All The Way) says:

Jackie nice response! I agree with you that growth is an essential part of life. I also love the connection! I remember watching Peter Pan all the time when I was littie, and Neverland seemed soooo cool. But now, after this story, I think I would rather grow up than be 12 forever.

25. Shefali says:

Nice Job!!!! Your OEQ is the best. No fence to the students. :razz: :shock: :smile: ;-) :grin:

26. Sachit says:

Sachit S 4/21/10
    OEQ

Jesse seems discouraged at the end of the story because he didn’t do as good as well as Michael did. For example, during fielding Jesse made silly mistakes and came up with one. Michael, on the other hand, fielded calmly and got every single ball. In batting, Jesse hit three balls but missed the other seven. Michael hit all ten. This is why Jesse felt discouraged.

I think Jesse’s reaction is appropriate because anybody would feel discouraged if they had a brother who did ten times better. This reminds me of the time when I went to the basketball courts and missed all my shots. While my friend Mohammed made four three point swishes in a row! In conclusion you can’t always be the best, but it doesn’t mean you should stop trying.

27. Chloe S girl who loves aero says:

Maibon learns his lesson by seeing that everything is growing but, he isn’t like his family they are moving on in life like he should be and he feels left out. Also Maibon’s crops stop growing and his wife gets really mad about that because how is she and the kids suppose to eat and live there life.
    I believe growth is a very important part of life because you get to have different experiences in life for example: getting married, birthdays, getting more things, buying a house, having kids, and being able to have a job that you are very proud of. This reminds me of the time when I wanted to be a teenager because my wouldn’t let me get a cell phone. But, they next day i got one and also my mom said I shouldn’t rush my life because it’s not fun being a old person.
    In closing Maibon learns that growth and change are a natural part of life.

This is my first time blogging and hope you liked my OEQ so like yeah yep yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. Jennifer says:

Great job Jackie!!! ;-) The connection is awesome. But I remember reading a book with peter pan as an adult, hunting for treasure. It was freaky.

29. Nick #8 says:

can any1 see this? :???:

30. kelli.zicha says:

Nick,
    You will not see your comments until I approve them.
    ;-)

31. Nick #8 says:

“Nothing is moving as it should,” he groaned. “I can’ t tell one day from the another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to nothing to show for my work.” said Maibon. The important lesson in the story is to be careful for what you wish for. You might regret wishing for something that you wanted without thinking about it. In “The Stone” Maibon learned that when he has a chance to get something he wants, his youth back. He should instead take in to consideration his responsibilities, his family, and his work. I always talk with my parents about winning Mega Millions. I always want to spend the money right away but I realize that I shouldn’t do that because it’s selfish and unwise. Instead, I should save a good portion of the money for the future and give some to help others. If I were Maibon I would think about my family and what my family needs. Maibon needs to learn to appreciate the good things in life.