RED- The Stone OEQ Homework #1

Open Ended Question

“Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned.  “I can’t tell one day from another.  Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work.  Why sow if the seeds don’t sprout?  Why plant if there’s never a harvest?  Why eat if I don’t get hungry?  Why go to bed at night, or get up in the morning, or do anything at all?  And the way it looks, so it will stay forever and ever!  I’ll shrivel from boredom if nothing else!”

• In The Stone, the moral lesson is that growth and change are a natural part of life.  How does Maibon learn this lesson?
  • Why do you think growth is an essential part of life?  Explain.

Use information from the selection to support your response.

21 Responses to “RED- The Stone OEQ Homework #1”

1. Sarah W. says:

“Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work. Why sow if the seeds don’t sprout? Why go to bed at night, or get up I the morning, or do anything at all? And the way it looks, so it will stay forever and ever! I’ll shrivel from boredom if nothing else!”
    Maibon learns the lesson that growth and change is a part of life when he saw that none of the plants were growing and his baby wasn’t growing his/her teeth. Madrona gets mad at him because he was the cause of the baby’s teeth not growing. He learned that growth and change is a natural part of life because the crops stopped growing and if they stopped growing he would not have anything to eat.
    I think growth and change is an essential part of life because if I stayed a 6th grader all my life I wouldn’t be able to get my driver’s license. I wouldn’t be able to go to prom, and I would never be able to have a family of my own. If I stayed a 6th I wouldn’t be able to move out of my parent’s house. I wouldn’t see my friends after they went off to high school, I would have to make new friends every year. I also can’t experience my first day of collage. I can connect to this because when I was little I didn’t want to grow up because I didn’t want to do hard work.In closing Maibon learns that growth and changing is a natural part of life. Hope you like it!

:oops: :oops:

2. Rohan says:

“ Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “ I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work. Why sow if the seeds don’t sprout? Why plant if there’s never a harvest? Why eat if I don’t get hungry? Why go to bed at night, or get up in the morning, or do any thing at all? And the way it looks, so it will say forever! I’ll shrivel from boredom if nothing else!” Maibon said this in great frustration. Maibon eventually learns that growth and change are a natural part of life when he realizes the actual effects of the stone. Maibon was very sad when he thought of being old and weak. But when he saw a dwarf from the Fair Folk, he got an idea. This specific dwarf was stuck under a log. By helping him, Maibon would be granted a wish. After helping the dwarf, he asked for a special stone, which would keep him the same age forever. So eager and happy, Maibon did not listen to the side affect. After a couple of days, Maibon is happy that he hasn’t changed a bit. But after a while, his wife points out the newly arisen problems. The calves haven’t been born, the eggs haven’t hatched, no apples have grown, the farm is not growing, and the baby’s tooth hasn’t grown. Nothing is changing. After many attempts to get rid of the rock, Maibon does not know what to get things to move forward again.

Growth is the essential part of life because without growth, nothing will change. Everyone relies on growth and change. We rely on food from farms, trees and plants. If animals do not reproduce, and they die, that animal species will die away. If this animal was the pray of another animal, the predator would have no food and die away too. This chain reaction will continue and destroy the normal circle of life. Everything will be off balance. Plus, without growth, we would not change, would not learn new things, or get to try new things. This story reminds me of the well-known fable, the golden touch. In that, the king, Midas wishes that everything he touches, turns to gold. But after turning all his food and his own daughter to gold, he regrets his greedy, selfish wish. In conclusion, Maibon learns that growth and change is a natural part of life. After getting rid of the stone he is happy things are back to normal and is okay with being old.

3. Cailee O says:

In “The Stone” there is a man named Maidon who doesn’t want to grow old he said “There’s no fate worse in all the world,” because he sees an old man that looks like he can’t move another step. :cry: He complains about it to his wife Modrona, his wife, and she gets really made at him for crying over such a nonsense thing. :evil: Maidon finds a small man, who is actually a magic man, stuck in a broken tree. :?: The small mans name is Doli and when Maidon helps him get out Doli grants Maidon anything he wants :razz: Maidon asked him for a stone that can make you young for ever and of course he gets what he wants :mrgreen: Maidon comes home showing Modrona but she is not pleased. :x She thought that he could get something else instead of a stone. Soon everything in Maidons farm stops growing. The chickens eggs didn’t hatch, the cow didn’t have her baby, and the crops aren’t even growing. :shock: Modrona believes that its the stone that is causing the problem. :!: She tells Maidon to get rid of it but when Maidon tries to get ride of it it keeps coming back to him. :| He meets Doli again and Doli explains to him that it is a dangerous stone. When ever he tries to get ride of it it keeps coming back because Maidon doesn’t want to let it go. :idea: Doli tells him to throw it on the ground and run as fast as he can. When he gets back home everything is back to normal and Maidon now knows that growing is away of life. :grin: :lol: :razz: ;-)

4. Jeremy S. says:

;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

“Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work. Why sow if the seeds don’t sprout :?: Why plant if there’s never a harvest? Why eat if I don’t get hungry :?: Why go to bed at night, or get up in the morning, or do anything at all :?: And the way it looks, so it will stay forever and ever! I’ll shrivel from boredom if nothing else!” Maibon learned that growth isnt that bad when the stone started effecting everything and everyone around him. when Maibons wife wanted him to get rid of the stone he threw it out the window and the next morning it was back. Then he buried it in his garden and the next morning it was back everything Maibon tried the stone came back. Of course Maibon didnt want to get rid of the stone his wife did. But then he noticed that the stone was effecting his life to much and didnt want it anymore. Maibon was walking found Doli the dwarf that gave him stone and told him that he didnt want the stone anymore. Doli didnt believe he didnt want it he knew his wife wanted it. So Doli told him the rock will go away if you truly want it to leave the rock next to the stump and go away. After that everything was back to normal and his life is now all better.

I think growth is an essential part of life because if you never grow you will never accomplish the dreams that you had in life. Also if you dont grow it sucks your whole life away and it will never get you anywhere in life. What have noticed in life is that grown ups want to be younger and kids want to be older but it really doesnt matter if your younger or older what matters is that your alive.

5. Shermanator says:

Great job Jeremy

6. Sammy S. says:

“Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. ” I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work.” This is what Maibon says after experiencing how the never aging stone works.
    In this story (The Stone) Maibon learns a really important lesson about how important it is to grow up and change. Everything begins when Maibon sees an old peasant on the road and begins to worry about getting old. After that he walks in the forest when he sees a dwarf called Doli stuck under a log. Maibon helps Doli get his leg out from under the log. Maibon asks for something in return. He wants to have a stone that will keep him the same age forever. After countless minutes of arguing Doli hands the multicolored stone reluctantly to Maibon who runs home and shows it to his wife. His wife Madrona is not happy about this and yells at Maibon that he isn’t working or helping the family. After a few days both Maibon and Madrona notice that nothing on the farm is changing such as the cow not giving birth the wheat isn’t growing and the chickens eggs haven’t hatched. A few days later when Madrona finally convinces Maibon to get rid of the stone he digs a hole and placing the colored stone in it. Reluctantly walking away he keeps looking back.
    The Next morning the stone is back on the window sill. He finally learns that growing is natural part of life, and it doesn’t always mean growing old. Maibon meets Doli again. Maibon isnt to happy. :x :sad: After Maibon tells Doli that he really is upset and wants the stone to go away, Doli tells him to throw away it and go back home. The stone stays where it is. When Maibon gets back to the farm, everything is growing and changing.
    Its really important to change and grow older so you can face new challenges in life. (I remembered what Jason said.) You half to experience new things try new things and life your life while you are still alive. Sometimes you may make mistakes but that’s part of life and you learn from them. If you don’t have challenges or difficulties in your life then there is no point of living. Plus if I were to stay 12 all of my life I wouldn’t be able to get a drivers license, I would stay in the Apollo unit (I Love it though but it’s a one time experience) and I wouldn’t go through any changes, my life would just be boring.
    In conclusion, Maibon learns that growing is just a part of life. Just staying young forever can hurt you in many ways and facing life and going through obstacles is the best part about life so live it the best, most challenging, and funniest ways possible. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

7. Chris B. (DA BOSS) says:

“Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work. Why sow if seeds don’t sprout? Why plant if there’s never a harvest? Why eat if I don’t get hungry? Why go to bed at night, or get up in the morning, or do anything at all? And the way it looks, so it will stay forever and ever! I’ll shrivel from boredom if nothing else!” Maibon said this in his conversation with Madrona. Maibon learns that growth and change are natural by noticing that nothing on the farm is growing. Having the stone makes nothing grow or change around Maibon. Madrona wants Maibon to throw the stone away and never get it again. Maibon throws it away reluctantly. The next day the stone comes back because Maibon still wants it. The chickens don’t lay eggs and the crops don’t grow at all. Once Maibon throws the stone away and doesn’t want it anymore, everything starts to grow again and the stone does not come back. This is how Maibon learned his lesson.
    I think growth is an essential part of life because we need to experience different things such as growing older. If we didn’t grow or change, babies would always be babies, kids will always be kids, and the elderly will always be old. Part of life is growing and our bodies changing. Without growing our bodies will never develop. This is like Tuesday because we were talking about growing and changing. We discussed what it would be like if we became older and changed, and if we stayed the same age and never changed. There would be many things that we could do and could not do. For example if we were older we could drive and if we stayed the same we wouldn’t be able to drive or go to high school. In conclusion, Maibon learned that growth and change are a natural part of life. He learns this by noticing that with the stone, crops don’t grow, he doesn’t grow, and nothing changes. This is how Maibon learned that growth and change is a natural part of life.

;-) :| :x :twisted: :smile: :shock: :sad: :roll: :razz: :oops: :o :mrgreen: :lol: :idea: :grin: :evil: :cry: :cool: :arrow: :???: :?: :!: :shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

8. Chris B. (DA BOSS) says:

Wow I wonder who the “Shermanator” is….. :???: :roll: :idea:

9. Todd B. says:

“Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work. Why sow if the seeds don’t sprout? Why plant if there’s never a harvest? Why eat if I don’t get hungry? Why go to bed at night, or get up in the morning, or do anything at all? And the way it looks, so it will stay forever and ever! I’ll shrivel from boredom if nothing else!” Maibon learns a life lesson when nothing in his farm or in his family is growing. He finds out that everything needs to grow old or your life will be very boring. Maibon gets frustrated when it has been weeks with no apples falling from his tree or wheat growing in his field.
    Growing is an essential part of life because you will not be able to experience new things in the world. Your life will be very dull if you repeat everything each day. In conclusion we all should never think that it is a curse to grow old. We all should be proud when we are 70 years old that we got to live and experience life and not stay the same age forever.
    :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

10. Elizabeth K. says:

Maibon wanted to stay the same age forever and got the chance to when he saved Doli, the dwarf. In the end, he realizes that it’s a silly idea and gives that desire.I also think that it’s not a good idea because I’d never get to grow up, get a driver’s license, get married, have kids, get out of sixth grade, graduate college, and basically I’d have nothing to look foward to. He relizes that too. This is why I think that it wasn’t a good idea to stay the same age forever.

11. JEREMY says:

me to

12. Sammy S. says:

Wow really I wonder too…………………………

13. SS??? says:

GOOD JOB!!! :grin: :grin:

14. Sammy S. says:

I LIKE THE SMILEY FACES!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

15. Sammy S. says:

It’s a different kind of response but I like it!! :lol: :lol: ;-) ;-)

16. Sammy S. says:

Its short but it gets right down to the point but I think you should have “retold it” first.

17. kelli.zicha says:

“Nothing’s moving along as it should,” he groaned. “I can’t tell one day from another. Nothing changes, there’s nothing to look forward to, nothing to show for my work. In The Stone, Maibon, the protagonist, learns that growth and change are a natural part of life. Maibon is exposed to the theme of this story as he approaches obstacles and learns to overcome them. While traveling home one day, Maibon encounters an elderly cottager. From this encounter he decides that he never wants to grow old. He says, “There’s no fate worse in all the world.” He uses negative connotations to describe the aging process. Continuing on his journey, Maibon surprisingly finds a red-headed dwarf named Doli whose leg is stuck under a log. Maibon frees Doli who then grants him a wish in return. Maibon wishes to never grow old. Days pass and Maibon enjoys his youthful age. However, he soon realizes that everything else on the farm has stopped growing as well. Because of this, he learns that growth is necessary.

Growth is an essential part of life. Everyone must grow and change. It is through change that we learn and understand ourselves as well as others. Each day we continuously face new challenges and grow as a person. Without growth, life would be dull and utterly pointless. It could be quite possible that Maibon feared change, so he ran from it. Even though change may sometimes be quite scary, we must look it in the eye and face the challenges that approach us. Sometimes, I, too, am frightened by change. I remember when I graduated high school. I was nervous about leaving a familiar place and entering into a whole new world. Rather than run from my fears, I decided to look them in the eye and face each one head on. I attended college and embraced the change in my life. Through my college years, I grew academically and soon graduated with a degree in education and psychology. Looking back, I am proud of my accomplishments. One goal in particular that I set for myself was to graduate with honors. I achieved this goal as I graduated Magna Cum Laude. If I ran away from my fears, I would not be the educator who stands before you today. Sometimes we have to think about the things that we fear and why we might fear them. Sometimes we have to learn from our own mistakes by making them ourselves. By taking risks, we look fear in the eye and embrace new challenges. In closing, growth and change are both necessary in life.

18. T.S. says:

Great Story Sammmmmmyyyyy!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: I think you added great detail! :lol: I hope you worked hard to make this a fabulous!!! :twisted: HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE!!!!!!!! ;-)

19. Tina S. says:

Great work everyone! :lol:

20. Sammy S says:

I LIKE IT MISS ZICHA,,,,,,,, VERY DETAILED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LIKE ITTTTT!!!!!!!!!! :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz:

21. Amani says:

Maibon Learns his leason by getting rid of thee stone and lisening to his wife. She was getting upset with Maibon because he didnt get rid of the stone that was basically a cured stone so the babys teeth stoped growing and so did Maboin beacause he didnt want to get any older and have cracking bones , etc. :shock: so, when ge went back to Doli to undo his wish, Doli did what was told and undid Maboins wish. I think Maiboin learnd his leson from Doli. Growth is a naturall part of life! I could connect to this when i had this plant that me and my brother had to share when we was younger and i guess it was like the roots of thee plant was tied together and he wanted 2 prove to me that it wasent tied so he ripped his plant out and i started laughing really hard bt then after a couple of weeks I noticed my plant also stopted growing so we had 2 get another plant because the one we got was obviously demeanted! lol! so ya! I think growth is a natural part of life is a true saying because with out one you have none. thats sort of like a line of babies conected in a rope if you cut one of the babies ropes then all the other babies are stuck! :lol: lol! In closing to this is why i think growth is a natural part of life and how Maboin learned his leson! ;-) :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: