RED- Baseball in April OEQ

Jesse seems discouraged at the end of the story.

• Why does Jesse feel this way?  Explain.
  • Do you think that Jesse’s reaction to the tryouts is appropriate?  Why or why not?

Use details and examples from the story to support your response.

20 Responses to “RED- Baseball in April OEQ”

1. Todd B says:

At the end of the baseball tryouts, Jesse seems discouraged by the end of the story. He feels this way because he did very poorly at the tryouts. It started off when he missed a lot of ground balls. Then it ends when he only hits three pitches out of ten. :cry: :cry:
    I think Jesse’s reaction to the tryouts is appropriate. I believe this because everyone in life is going to get jealous at some point. This is like when I was jealous that my brother was a better baseball player than me. However that did not stop me from getting better and trying. Jesse should not let the past get to him. He should try and get better so next year he can make the team.
    :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
    :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

2. Sarah W. says:

Jesse feels discouraged because he knew how bad he was and how good Michael did. He “…imagined Michael running home with a uniform under his arm while he walked home empty handed.” I think Jesse’s reaction to the tryouts was appropriate. I think the reaction was appropriate because he didn’t slam the bat down and he didn’t cry or yell. Another reason I think he acted appropriately is because he didn’t say anything to his brother when Michael was doing good and he wasn’t. I can connect to this because my sister, Cassie, and I were trying out for kickball and my sister got on the team and I didn’t and I started to cry. In conclusion, Jesse thought that he wasn’t going to make it but Michael was, and Jesse felt discouraged because Michael was going to get it instead of Jesse.

3. Jonathan P (Mr.hockey) says:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Good job Todd

4. Clarence L says:

Jesse didn’t do very well at the tryouts.He was discouraged because he didn’t think he’d be on the Little League Team. :sad: I think Jesse should just forget about it and try again at the next tryouts.And he should practice!Practice makes perfect! :smile:

5. Cailee O. says:

Jesse and Michael are brothers that want to join the Little League baseball team. They go to tryouts to see if they can make it. Jesse goes first and he plays good at first but then he does poorly. :cry: He couldn’t catch or hit a ball later. Jesse feels upset and he feels this way because he thinks he needs to develop more skill in baseball. :x Next it’s Michael’s turn and he plays really good. :razz: He knows how to hit a ball and play on the fields. :mrgreen:
    At the end of the tryouts Jesse get really mad at Michael and jealous. :evil: To me this is not appropriate for Jesse to feel that way because he tried his best. It reminds me of when I got really mad at my softball game because I couldn’t hit the ball and when I got my tree strikes I hit the fence which wasn’t that smart to do. :| I now know that it’s ok if you don’t make it in something. :shock: :grin: :lol: :mrgreen: :o ;-)

6. Elizabeth K. says:

Jesse feels discourages at the end of the story. He feels this way because he’s not good at baseball and he doesn’t believe that he’s gonna make little league.
    Jesse doesn’t do well at the tryouts for little league. He doesn’t have confidence or skill in baseball. Micheal, his older brother never helped him much either. Jesse is also upset because he doesn’t think that he’ll make little league.
    I don’t think that his reaction is appropriate or fair because he didn’t earn it. He was nervous and just hopped to go on the team. You can’t just hope to make the team, you have to work for it and practice at it. When I was in third grade I did ice skating on Tuesdays. I didn’t hope to pass to the next levels I practiced and worked to make it to the next levels. I usually went on weekends with my dad to practice at the ice rink for an hour or two. I was pretty good, too. I got to the sixth level and it was pretty fun. I have to say practice makes perfect and sometimes it can be real fun.
    I think that Jesse is too nervous and not confident and should practice and have fun with baseball. And maybe if he practices hard enough he’ll get into little league next year.

7. Jonathan P. (Mr.hockey) says:

OEQ
    Jesse seems discouraged at the end of the story. I think Jesse felt discouraged because he did so badly in fielding. Another reason is he only got three hits in batting practice, and got a lot of fouls another reason is his brother is so much better than him the last reason is he nervous that his brother will make the team and he won’t.
    I think he was appropriate with his reaction. I think he took it appropriately because he didn’t start crying. Another reason is he didn’t get angry at his brother. I think he should keep on trying because maybe he will make it next time. This reminds me of when I was jealous of the older goalies at a camp.

In closing this is why I think Jesse seemed discouraged at the end.

8. Rohan S. says:

He thought to himself, yeah he’ll make on the team and I’ll just watch from the bleachers. This is what Jesse thought when the tryouts were over. He felt very discouraged because he didn’t play very well while Michael played great. In the beginning, Jesse was nervous because he knew he wasn’t a great player. When fielding, he missed a lot of balls and did not throw very well. As he was batting, he only hit three out of ten pitches. Throughout his turn, he was extremely nervous. Plus, as he walked back to the bench and sat down, he saw Michael’s amazing performance. This led to more discouragement and jealousy.
    I think Jesse’s reaction to the tryouts were appropriate because he knew he couldn’t match up to the way Michael and the others played. Knowing this, Jesse felt jealous of his brother. This story reminds me about what I feel when my brother and I are doing something together, but he always used to be better. I used to feel a hint of jealousy, but I worked hard to improve myself. In conclusion, after the tryouts, Jesse felt discouraged because he hadn’t played well. Additionally, he felt jealous of Michael because of his amazing performance. Jesse tried hard, but feels that he will not make the baseball team.

9. Rohan S. says:

I think Jesse’s reaction to the tryouts were appropriate because he knew he couldn’t match up to the way Michael and the others played. Knowing this, Jesse felt jealous of his brother. This story reminds me about what I feel when my brother and I are doing something together, but he always used to be better. I used to feel a hint of jealousy, but I worked hard to improve myself. In conclusion, after the tryouts, Jesse felt discouraged because he hadn’t played well. Additionally, he felt jealous of Michael because of his amazing performance. Jesse tried hard but feels that he will not make the baseball team.

10. isabella says:

OEQ
    I think he was appropriate with his reaction. I think he took it appropriately because he didn’t start crying. Another reason is he didn’t get angry at his brother. I think he should keep on trying because maybe he will make it next time. This reminds me of when i watched a movie and a girl tried out for football and didn’t make the team.
    In closing this is why I think Jesse seemed discouraged at the end :oops: :o

11. isabella says:

HI ELIZABEITH
    I LOVE YOUR COMMENT! IT IS SO BIG AND SO LARGE HAHAHA :oops: :lol: LOL I LOVED UR STORY ABOUT THOMAS AND THE PAY PHONE HAHAHA :cool: :???: :!: :!: :!: :!:

12. Jonathan L. (soccer man) says:

In Gary Soto’s, ” Baseball in April,” Jesse feels or seems discouraged at the end of the story. Why does Jesse feel this way. Jesse felt this way because everytime he became pumped up and ready, once he got on the diamond, he became nervous. Also, Jesse thinks that his brother, Michael, did a much better job than him in batting practice and fielding baseballs. Another thing was that he was worried that he might not be able to make the team. Lastly, when Jesse watched his brother perform, he becomes jealous of Michael. :!: :!:
    I do not think Jesse’s reaction was appropriate to the tryouts. I don’t think it was because you shouldn’t give up on trying something. Also, you should to continue on believing in yourself. You can also ask yourself, ” What can I do to IMPROVE?” In closing, if you fail or do bad at something, you should keep dreaming and practice to get better at what you want to accomplish. ;-) :smile: :grin: :cool: :| :smile: :smile: :razz: :lol:

13. maria e says:

jesse felt this way because he says that he sees micheal running home with a uniformunder his arm and he sees himself running home empty handed :sad:

14. Kristen.A. says:

Jesse feels discouraged at the end of this story. He feels discouraged because he thinks that michael made the basketball team, but Jesse was jealous of his brothers athletic display. Lastly, His mouth was again fat from holding back a smile. :sad:

15. Chris B. (SoCcEr BeASt 10) says:

In Gary Soto’s, “Baseball in April”, Jesse feel discouraged at the end of the story. :shock: Jesse feels that he isn’t good enough to play travel baseball. He thinks he didn’t do good in the tryouts and he isn’t going to make the team. He thinks that Michael is going to make the team and he is going to be watching in the bleachers. :o Jesse also thinks that Michael is a lot better than him at baseball. :|
    I think that Jesse’s reaction to the tryouts are not appropriate. I think this because you should always believe in yourself. Believe in everything you do and never stop trying to do better. :mrgreen: This reminds me of when I was at tryouts for basketball. Some of the kids were really skilled. At first I thought that I wouldn’t make the team, but I did make the team. I tried my hardest and I always believed in myself. In conclusion, Jesse felt discouraged because Michael was better than him. He thought he wouldn’t make the team and Michael would. Jesse learned that you should always believe in yourself and never give up trying. :cool:

16. Sylvaneta D. :) says:

Why does Jesse feel this way? Do you think that Jesse’s reaction to the tryouts is appropriate? Jesse feels this way because every time the coach saw Micheal play he would make a check mark on his clipboard. But to him, Jesse, he thought he was not good at batting while Micheal was good. This is why Jesse felt discouraged.

Yes I do think Jesse’s reaction is appropriate because he didn’t start crying or having a fit about not making the team. Although he could have told Micheal he was jealous of him he should be able to talk to his brother about his problems. In conclusion, Jesse was confident about making the team but when he saw how good Micheal was he got a little jealous.

:grin: :grin: :grin:

17. Ethan L. says:

Baseball in April

Jesse feels discouraged because he wasn’t able to make the team for baseball. But his brother did.
    For example, Jesse did really bad in the field trying to catch the balls that came at him. But his brother did real good in the outfield. Michal did awesome at bat, Jesse did ok. They both knew they were going to make the team but Michal was the only one that made it, not Jesse.
    I think he was happy because Jesse thought he did good at batting. I can connect to this when my brother and I was trying out for soccer. I thought I did realy good but my brother did better.My brother made it but I didn’t. Jesse wanted to know how to improve for baseball. Just like me with soccer.
    This shows me in life to keep on practicing and trying. Never give up and be proud of you brother or sister who made a team.
    : :mrgreen: :razz: :grin:

18. Sylvaneta D. :) says:

:x :twisted: :smile: :shock: :sad: :roll: :razz: :oops: :o :mrgreen: :lol: :idea: :grin: :evil: :cry: :cool: :arrow: :???: :?: :!: ;-) :| i love the smileys and really good OEQ Isabella

19. Sammy S says:

In the story Baseball In April by Gary Soto Jesse seems discouraged. Jesse feels this way because he felt he did bad during his tryouts. Jesse was one of the first kids on the field and when the ball was thrown to him he didn’t catch it. Though when he did catch the ball his throw was off. Then after his field tryout was over Jesse sat on the bench pouting. His brother was on the field now and he did very well so the coach put a mark on his clipboard unlike when Jesse tried out. Jesse was upset and was jealous of his older brother Micheal.
    I think Jesse’s reaction to the tryouts were appropriate because in my personal experience when I was 5 my sister could do a cartwheel and i couldn’t. I was so jealous of her I just kept pushing myself and I finally got my cartwheel. (I forget how to do it now though!! :grin: :grin: ) I think Jesse should keep trying and be persevering to nail his throwing and batting in baseball so next year he can get on the little league team. :cool: :grin: :razz: :smile: ;-) :lol:

20. Jason G. says:

Jesse seems discouraged at the end of the story. Jesse feels this way because in the story, he couldn’t hit the ball. after missing the ball a couple more times, his brother Michael helped him out and taught him to bat. He still missed and Michael kept hitting the ball.This made Jesse jealous and discouraged.
    I think Jesse’s reaction at the tryout was very inappropriate. He shouldn’t have been jealous. he should’ve tried his best and practiced more. This reminds me of a time when I used to play basketball a long time ago. My team lost a lot (Not because I was in it!) and I was very let down. I wanted to quit but my parents didn’t let me. By the time the season ended, I realized I had a lot of fun. In addition, Jesse shouldn’t have been so upset. :mrgreen: