YELLOW- Baseball in April OEQ

Jesse seems discouraged at the end of the story.

• Why does Jesse feel this way?  Explain.
  • Do you think that Jesse’s reaction to the tryouts is appropriate?  Why or why not?

Use details and examples from the story to support your response.

27 Responses to “YELLOW- Baseball in April OEQ”

1. Nick I. says:

OEQ for “Baseball in April”

In the end of Gary Soto’s “Baseball in April” Jesse feels discouraged. This is because Michael, Jesse’s brother, is doing a lot better than him in the travel team tryouts. In the beginning of this story Jesse keeps missing the grounders that are hit to him. He catches only two out of six balls. Michael, on the other hand, catches all the balls hit to him and throws them perfectly. Then, in the hitting tryouts Jesse does poorly but Michael does really well again. These are all the reasons I think that Jesse is discouraged.
    I think that Jesse’s reaction isn’t appropriate because he could always try again the next year. Jesse might also make the team even though he didn’t do so well. I feel this way because when I was in the fifth grade I wanted to try out for a swim team. I didn’t make first place but I didn’t give up. The next race I tried I didn’t come in first place either. I got really sad and went home thinking that I didn’t make the team. The next day I got a call that said that I made the team. In conclusion, I think that Jesse is discouraged because of his brother and I don’t think that Jesse’s feelings were appropriate.

2. Eric R. says:

YELLOW- Baseball in April Open Ended Question

In Gary Soto’s “Baseball in April,” Jesse seems discouraged at the end of the story. Jesse feels this way because at the bating tryouts, Jesse isn’t confident about bating. During lunch, Michael showed Jesse the correct way to swing a baseball bat, which made Jesse a little more confident. But, when Jesse bated he did good, after Jesse went it was Michael’s turn Michael did very good which lowered Jesse confidence. After Michael bated Jesse thought that he would leave empty handed and that Michael would have a team jersey hanging of his arm. That prediction might happen if he doesn’t get his confidence back.

Jesse’s reaction is not appropriate because Jesse doesn’t know what the coach is writing on the clipboard. This reminds me of when I tried out for baseball, but I made the team. In closing, Jesse should give up because in the end, he might make the team.

3. Juli E. (Softball All The Way) says:

OEQ for Baseball In April :!:

At the end of the story Baseball and April Jesse is discouraged after his baseball tryout. Why would a boy be so bothered? Because poor Jesse didn’t do well, while his older brother Michael did. When the try outs began Jesse and Michael had to field. Jess went first and missed quite a few ground balls. On the other hand, Mike did great and just kept going on the high note. When fielding was over, Michael and Jesse had to hit so, Mike gave Jesse a few pointers. But unfortunately, the pointers didn’t work as well as they thought and Jesse didn’t hit very well. This is why Jesse is discouraged, his brother is dominating while he is struggling.
    I feel that Jesse reaction at tryouts was inappropriate because through my experiences, coaches look at attitude. When I tryout for softball and basketball I make mistakes, just like everybody else in the world. But because I shake it off and try again, I have a better chance of making the team. In the end, just because you might be discouraged never give up because even if “the tears were welling,” in your eyes coaches will look for an appropriate attitude.
    :cool:

4. Vittoria says:

In the story “Baseball in April” by Gary Soto Jess feels nervous, and he wants to do better than he did on pitches that were thrown to him. All of them where the same kind of pitch:( :sad: :sad: :cry:

I think Jesse’s reaction was a little inappropriate. He was thinking of all of the bad things instead of thinking positive. This reminded me of when I tried out for a dance team. I didn’t get in because I kept messing up. I feel bad for Jesse but he should improve his skills and try out next year!

PS tornado class for ever :cool: :cool: :!: :!: :!: :grin: :o :o :roll: :roll: :razz: :razz: :smile: ;-)

5. Vittoria says:

is softball like baseball :?: :?: :razz: :roll: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

6. Sophia says:

Jesse, after trying twice before, wants to make a Little League team. This year, though, his fielding and batting isn’t the best, but his brother Michael, who also tried out before and failed to join, has extremely good skills this season. Jesse is discouraged that yet again, it seems that he has failed to make the team. Meanwhile, Michael did excellent at the tryouts, and is almost certain to become a Little League player. Jesse is nervous that he will never make the team, and is discouraged by that fact. Therefore, at the end of tryouts, Jesse feels that making Little League is a dream too far away for him to reach.
    At the same time, he is jealous of Michael’s abilities. Jesse feels that it is unfair for his brother to make the team, but not himself. He begins to think bitter thoughts about his brother. I find that maybe this is not an appropriate reaction, but it is natural. Jealousy is something that we can’t help but feel. I felt that way too, when I played softball. Many of the girls on my team were strong hitters, and rarely struck out. But for me, I mostly struck out, and when I did hit, it was usually a grounder to first or third. I couldn’t help but think bitter thoughts, and wish my abilities were better. Still, it’s o.k. for Jesse to be discouraged and jealous. He can use these feelings as motivation for the next tryout.

7. Hari (The master of awesomeness) says:

Why would you tell Jesse such a thing, ” Jesse should give up” that’s rude :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

P.S. I know it’s a typo

8. Vatsal P. says:

In the story,” Baseball in April”, written by Gary Soto, Jesse seems discouraged at the end of the story. He feels this way because of many reasons. It all started when Michael and his younger brother Jesse were walking over to the baseball field to try out for the baseball team. Jesse was first to be tested at pitching and fielding. His performance was satisfactory. He kept either missing the ball or throwing the ball way out of range. ran if the field and waited for his brother’s turn. Finally, it was Michael’s turn. He gave an excellent performance. Once Michael was done he jogged of the field proud thinking that he would make the team. At lunch time the coaches told everyone to go home and eat lunch and be back in an hour. The brothers went home. While they were eating lunch Michael taught Jesse how to bat more better because he knew that his brother’s batting skills weren’t that good. After an hour both of them walked back to the field. It was Jesse’s turn to bat. He again performed poorly. Jesse only hit three out of the ten balls pitched. Michael, on the other hand, hit all ten balls. Watching this made Jesse discouraged because he was doing so bad compared to his brother. That is why he was feeling sad.
    I think Jesse’s reaction wasn’t the best but could have been worse. Even though he didn’t do well his brother did. He should be a little happy for his brother. On the other hand Jesse himself didn’t do well so he should feel a little jealous. I felt that way when I was at my soccer try-outs. Everybody was doing better than me because it was the first time for me in that group. Overall i did good and got into the team. In conclusion, Jesse felt sad because his performance was poor and I think his reaction wasn’t the best but was okay.

9. Aslesha says:

In the passage, “Baseball in April” by Gary Soto, Jesse seems discouraged at the end of the story. Jesse doesn’t think he made the baseball team. He tried hard, but he didn’t do well. When he tries fielding, he doesn’t catch the first one. When he tried batting he only hit three out of ten pitches. He doesn’t think he did well, but Michael did. Therefore, he is very discouraged. “Jesse was jealous of his brother’s athletic display.” Jesse is jealous of Michael.

I think Jesse’s reaction to the tryouts was not appropriate. He does not act maturely by crying after the tryouts. Furthermore, he starts to feel jealous of Michael. Instead of envying him, he should feel happy for his older brother. For example, when my sister won a dance competition, I told her she did a good job instead of feeling jealous. Also, he lacked self confidence. In closing, Jesse felt discouraged at the end of the story, but his behavior was not appropriate.

10. Hari (The master of awesomeness) says:

This is the OEQ of awesomeness :!: :mrgreen: :cool:

Gary Soto author of Baseball in April exclaims that Jesse is disappointed at the end of the story because of the tryouts. Jesse feels this way because at the tryouts he thinks he doesn’t do good enough. Truthfully, this is because Michael does clearly better than him. He’s afraid that after that the Coach will see Michael and think Jesse isn’t good enough. Jesse fears he’ll come home empty-handed while his brother held under his hand, a nice uniform.
    Personally, I believe Jesse is over-reacting. This is because there always is a chance that the coach was very and maybe even exceptionally happy with Jesse and his performance. It’s like the time I went to a basketball tryout. I thought I had completely failed the tryout. turns out I had made the B team or 2nd rank Ultimately, Jesse is discouraged because he thinks he failed the tryouts. I also believe he reacted way too much.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :twisted: :twisted: :cool:

11. Aslesha says:

nice job!!

12. Aslesha says:

nice job!! ;-) :smile: :razz: :lol: :mrgreen: :grin: :cool:

13. shaila says:

“Jess seemed discouraged at the end of the story.” As Jess started to practice for the tryouts, he felt very nervous and didn’t think he would do a good job. As he chewed his glove and stepped up in line. It was time to show the coach his best. He hurled the ball to first base and it rolled of his hand. The next time, he picked up the ball and made a throw to first base a second time. But the throw made the baseman to leap in the air. When he was done with his turn, he knew that he messed up and that’s why he did not pay attention. I think that sine he felt so discouraged he didn’t play right.
    In my opinion, Jess’s reaction for the tryouts was not appropriate. He thought negatively, and didn’t feel confident. That’s why he messed up. If he thought positively, he would focus on the game and not worry about not getting in the team like Michael. Also, if he didn’t think about losing, it would make a great impact on him and the game. This reminds me when my little sister thought she would never pass the test. But I told her to practice and not to worry about how she’ll do. Next day, she came home with a great smile on her face. By the look of it, I knew she did well! In conclusion, Jess seemed discouraged because he thought he wouldn’t do it. His behavior impacted the game and he couldn’t play with the team.

-shaila

14. shaila says:

15. Srushti B. says:

OEQ for “Baseball In April”

In the story”Baseball In April” by Gary Soto, Jesse seems discouraged at the end of the story. Jesse feels this way because he is jealous that his older brother is a better player that him. He is sad that he probably won’t make the team, But his brother, Michael will make probably make the team. Jesse thinks Michael is also showing off by “holding back his smile” when he knows he did good in front of Jesse. He gets even more discouraged when he imagines Michael taking his brother’s spot while Jesse comes home empty-handed.
    I think Jesse’s reaction is very inappropriate because you should be happy for others who make it and you just try harder this time, setting up a goal. It’s called “positive attitude and good character.” I can connect it to my life because one time, in 5th grade, my teacher was praising another girl while she didn’t praise me and that made me jealous of her. This made me try harder just like how Jesse probably would. In conclusion, I think Jesse shouldn’t have been jealous of Michael because it will just make yourself more worse than you are now. :lol:

16. Srushti B. says:

;-) ;-) :smile: :smile: :smile: :roll: :razz: :grin: :lol: :???: :mrgreen: :sad:

17. Srushti B. says:

miss zicha is the best teacher ever!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :grin: :grin: :grin: ;-) ;-) ;-) :smile: :smile: :smile: :roll: :roll: :roll: :razz: :razz: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :grin: :grin: :cool: :cool: :cool:

18. Anonymous says:

In the end of the story “Baseball in April” the main character Jesse seems discouraged.

Jesse and his brother are planning to try out for the Little League team. Jesse’s turn to show his skills comes first and he is nervous as he stands in the field waiting for the ball. Jesse perfumes poorly and he feels bad as he walks back to the benches. When Michael shows his strength and talent, Jesse feels jealous and happy at the same time. They run home to eat and Michael shows Jesse how to hold bat correctly. Still, Michael scores perfect and Jesse’s 3 out of 10 hits are nothing compared to that. When Jesse sits down watching his talented brother he feels discouraged, because he is curtain that Michael will make the team and he will not. Also he feels really bad and is jealous to his brother.

In conclusion, Jesse feels bad, because his brother is talented. Jesse has to keep on and have hope.

19. Ilta P. says:

Oh, that OEQ was by me :grin:

20. Juli E. (Softball All The Way) says:

Yes and no! I could go on forever but I have a softball game, go figure!

21. Sophia says:

yes, except only girls play it, the pitching and batting is different, and there is no mound.

22. Juli E. (Softball All The Way) says:

Thank You :!: :!: :!: :!:

23. Juli E. (Softball All The Way) says:

I agree you shouldn’t write something that you wouldn’t do. Would you give up?

24. Juli E. (Softball All The Way) says:

yeah she is right and if you want more answers just ask i have plenty ready.

25. Danielle G says:

April 22, 2010 6:45 pm
    In the story Baseball in April, Jesse seems discouraged at the end of the story. Jesse and Michael are both trying out for little league. Michael is slightly better than Jesse, but Jesse still tries. First, they go into the field and Jesse doesn’t think he did well. The he sees his brother do extremely well. The coach said after lunch they were going to bat. Jesse doesn’t think he’s good at hitting so he feels discouraged. But then Michael tries to help. Jesse was proud that he got 3 out of 10 hits. Then his brother did better so he felt discouraged again.
    I think that Jesse’s reaction was appropriate for the tryouts. I think this because if you try hard you should be granted what you wanted. This reminds of the time when I tried out for travel soccer and I wasn’t that good and I didn’t think I did well. Then I made the team. In conclusion, Jesse and Michael tried out for little league and Jesse didn’t think he did well.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :razz: