GREEN- The Snowball Effect OEQ

• What does Angela imagine her classmates will do?  Why?
  • Do you think Angela’s expectations were realistic?  Why or why not?

Use details and examples from the story to support your response.

18 Responses to “GREEN- The Snowball Effect OEQ”

1. Victoria (Yello Jello) and Teresa (Pink Jello) says:

When Angela decides to take responsblity for the broken window, she imanges how her classmates will treat hear.Angela images that her class will thik shes a hero. That they will love Angela for taking the blame. Angela takes the blame because she also didn’t want essays everynight. Angela learns her lesson by having 3 days of in school suspension, and has to pay for a new window. When her mom finds out, she has to double the chores, clean and organize the garge, help with dinner for the next 2 months, and can’t call or invite a friend over for a month.

I do not think Angelas expectations were realistic. For one, she shouldnt have taken the blame for breaking the window with the football SHE DIDNT DO IT!!!! If no one fessed up i think everyone should get the blame! This reminds me of the time when my sister got this sticky football that stuck everywhere. When Jonathan (whos an idiot) just joking (not really) shot it up at the ceiling it wouldnt come down. When we finally got it down there was a huge brown stain from wheere the football was! Then, we heard my mom comming down. When she saw it she got mad. None of us spoke. Finally, i took the blame for jon. And i know i learned my lesson.

Angela deservesfor what she did. I think she learned that if you didnt do it dont take the blame.. i know i did……….. HOPE YOUR FEELING BETTEER MISS. ZICHA!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :grin: :grin: :o :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

2. Jack G says:

When Angela decides to take responsibility for the broken window she imagines how her classmates will treat her. At the beginning, her teacher is late and the class decides to toss around a fotball. Accidentally someone breaks a window and when the teacher comes he asks who threw it. Nobody responded so he made everyone get the blame. He made them do a lot of work. She decides to give herself in so she doesn’t have to do work and classmates would love her. She thought her classmates would be happy and treat her like a princess. However, they didn’t.
    At the time she probably thought it was realistic and I would agree with her. The decision was completely realistic and made sense. This is like the time I got in trouble for something I didn’t do. I got into major trouble with everyone just because they thought I attacked somebody else. I think Angela shouldn’t of told her teacher that she was the culprit.

3. Jackie K says:

In “The Snowball Effect”, Angela takes the blame for breaking a school window, even though it was not her fault.
    She expects lots of gratitude from her classmates. After all, she did take the blame for something that they did. It all started when the class was playing indoor football while waiting for their teacher, who was running late. Unfortunately, the teacher returned to a broken window. Though it was not her fault, Angela takes the blame to prevent the whole class from being punished. Angela is suspended, and doesn’t receive any thanks from her classmates. In the text, it says she “hardly got a pat on the back from her classmates, never mind the hero’s celebration she thought she deserved.” This was very disappointing to her.
    The expectations she had were very high though. You can’t expect a party for getting in trouble. Her situation reminds me of being an older sister. Whenever my younger sisters destroy the living room, I take the blame to be nice. However, I have to clean up the mess, which is frustrating.
    As you can see, Angela’s expectations were far too high for her classmates’ reward to her.

GREEN CLASS 4EVER! :lol:

4. Sachit says:

When Angela decides to take responsibility for breaking the window, she really shouldn’t have. What happened was that Mr. Phillips, Angela’s teacher, was a little late to the class. So Angela’s classmates thought it was appropriate to throw a football around. Inevitably, the ball crashes out of the window. Then Mr. Phillips comes in and immediately becomes upset. Then he asks, “Who did it?” Nobody replied so Mr. Phillips threatened the whole class with essays for homework for the rest of the semester. Imagining her classmates will treat her like a hero for saving them from the essays she decides to take the blame.

I think Angela’s expectations were unrealistic because nobody’s going to hoist her up or any of that stuff. This reminds me of the time when my sister broke a marble plate. My sister was only four at that time and so I took the blame. Luckily, my mom didn’t believe me, but sticking up for my sister made her day and neither of us got in trouble. In conclusion, you should know when its appropriate to take the blame and when its not.

5. Aparna says:

In Gary Soto’s ‘Baseball in April’, Jesse feels discouraged at the end of the story.
    Jesse felt discouraged because he didn’t think he performed well in the tryouts. :sad: As he and his brother, Michael, were going to the baseball tryouts, Jesse felt nervous. :oops: The first test was pitching. Jesse didn’t pitch properly too many times. But when Michael pitched, it kind of seemed to Jesse that he was a professional. Then the coach gave everyone lunch breaks and told them to come back after eating for the next test- batting. While Jess and Mike were eating at home, Mike helped Jesse by showing him the proper way to swing the bat. That bought up Jess’s confidence. Although he seemed ready, Jess grew nervous again. Because of this, he again flunked at batting. And when Mike did it, he was great.

I don’t think Jess’s behavior was appropriate because there’s no need to be nervous. Besides, it wouldn’t be the end of the world if he didn’t pass. This is like when I was scared for my violin test, thinking I won’t qualify. But when I tried the best I could, and just got it over with, I got a 90%, which I went for!
    In closing, Jesse was brought down again from him flunking, and Mike doing outstandingly.

6. Shefali says:

When Angela decides to take responsibility for the broken window she imagines how her classmates will treat her. Angela imagines that the classmates will think that she is a hero for them since she saved them out of trouble. She really just got herself into extra trouble. I think that Angela’s exceptions were wrong because she shouldn’t have even took the blame on herselfso this wouldn’t have even happened. This reminds me of the time my brother broke the glass plate that was hand carved, I felt sorry that he would have to get in big of trouble so I took the blame and only got my phone taken away for 3 days. I think that Angela learned her lesson by not taking the blame for something that you didn’t do. This is why she shouldn’t have raised her hand to take the blame.

Yay :!: :!: I am done :!: :!: :razz:

7. Tejas S. says:

When Angela decides to take responsibility for the broken window, she imagines how her classmates will treat her. She thinks that her classmates will cheer, “Angela! Angela!” Today is testing day Angela’s teacher, Mr.Phillip is not here. Here classmates decided to have some fun. They start to pass a football around. Angela knows that this is a bad idea so she doesn’t participate. Soon the football breaks the window. Two seconds later Mr.Phillip comes. Seeing the mess he asks who threw the football. No body answers. Mr.Phillip threatens them that they will get assignments every day. Angela thinks that if she confesses that she threw it she her class won’t get the assignments and her classmates will think that she is brave.
    Angela’s expectations were so unrealistic. Angela never thought that why would anybody cheer for somebody who did something bad. They would not even look up to Angela.”…I hardly got a pat on the back from my classmates…”thought Angela. This reminds me of the time when Crash stood up for Penn Webb. Penn was getting bullied by Mark and Crash stood up for Penn. This is just like Angela. In conclusion, The class got it trouble and Angela stood up for the class and lied, but she got herself in even more deeper trouble.

8. Shefali says:

Hi Aprana, I think you placed this in the wrong OEQ by accident. This is the one that we did in class today and the one you typed was for yesterday.

Nice response :!: :!: :razz:

9. Chloe S. says:

When Angela decides to take responsibility for the broken window she images how her classmates would treat her.
    What does Angela imagine her classmates doing. Angela believed that her classmates would make her class hero. She thought they were going to name her class hero , but they didn’t or give her a victory parade for doing what she did for her class. But, the true thing is that is that they didn’t do anything not even a thank you for what she did for the class. So, she had to suffer herself by doing the chores and getting suspended from school. Not, to mention she is a honor role student and that would be on her record for life.

Do I think Angela’s expectations were realistic. No, because she didn’t even think about what the outcome would be. She was just focused on being the class hero. This reminds me of the time when my class got in trouble because this boy wrote a note to this girl saying she was fat and he used a friends sticky note so every one thought it was her , but it really wasn’t her it was him and she almost got in trouble. That’s when I told my teacher it was him and he got mad at me but i didn’t care she was my friend before him. While that time I was listening to my teacher speak about how saying someone is fat is me i thought to myself and said should tell my teacher that he really did it not her. Also i became her hero when I did that.

Fell better Miss Zicha

10. Katie F. says:

What does Angela think her classmates will do? In the beginning of the story, Angela was in her classroom not causing any trouble. But mean while her classmates were playing indoor football. Angela knew well, that living with two older brothers that this would not turn out very well. :cry: And sure enough, it didn’t. They threw the football right through the window. Then Mr. Phillips (the teacher) walks in, he is very frustrated. He asks the class twice who did it and he threatened to give them essays every night until the end of the semester. :mrgreen: :twisted: Angela confessed it was her even though it wasn’t. She thought she wasn’t going to get in trouble because Mr. Phillips like her. As she assumed her classmates would confess and say it was then but they kept their mouths quiet.
    I DON’T think her expectations were realistic. I think that because people every where never want to get blamed for it or get in trouble. I know I wouldn’t. :lol: This reminds me of a time when my brother did something and my mom said confess or you’ll both get something taken away. In conclusion, students should always tell the truth no matter how bad the conflict is.

11. Aparna says:

In ‘The Snowball Effect,’ when Angela decides to take responsibility for the broken window, she imagines how her classmates will treat her. Angela imagined her classmates liking her from saving them from all those additional essays as a punishment from Mr. Phillips. Angela’s day had started out normally. But as she approached fifth period, everything got messed up. Because Mr. Phillips was late to class, everyone except Angela decided to play and toss a football. Unfortunately, the football aimlessly shattered the window. That’s when Mr. Phillips arrived. His face reddened while the whole class was silent. He asked several times who did it, but no one said anything. That’s when Angela began thinking, and she confessed to the crime. The consequences of that for her was 3 days in-school suspension, paying for the window, and doing endless chores for her mom.
    I don’t think her expectations are that realistic. Maybe a few people might’ve liked her, but not the teacher. He’d obviously be mad for destroying school property. This reminds me of the time when i had a math quiz, and i didn’t study properly for it. So, when i took it, it seemed sort of hard, but i thought i did good. But when i got it back, i got a bad grade. In closing, Angela learns that things don’t always turn out the way you think it will, and to not confess that you did something, even if you didn’t.

12. Emily I. says:

“When Angela decides to take blame for the broken window, she imagines how her classmates will treat her.” Angela Imagines that her classmates will be “Hoisting her up into the air and chanting her name “Angela, Angela :!: ” She though that her classmates would do this if she ‘Stuck up for them and saved them from doing all of that work,” but that didn’t go so well :cry: . Mr. Phillips was late to class that day so some kids in her class thought that it would be cool/fun to play football in the class room :lol: . Then, next thing she knows, someone broke a hole through the window, leaving shattered glass everywhere.

I don’t think that Angela’s expectations where realistic. That usually only happens is sports and movies. This is like the time when I broke my mom’s glass top. I put it on the edge of the counter to get a piece of cake. Next thing i know is that the top shattered into a million little pieces. :shock: My mom didn’t care because she knew it was a mistake. Finally, Angela thought that she would be a hero. :grin: if she confessed that she ended up in trouble. :oops:

13. aricha says:

“When Angela decides to take responsibility for the broken window, she imagines how her classmates will treat her.” Angela was thinking about this, if she should take the blame or not. Angela was calmly sitting in her classroom, waiting for her teacher to come in. Some kids decided to play indoor football. All of a sudden the football goes flying out the window, and there is a hole in the window. Then a few minutes later her teacher comes walking in, with a mad looking face. “Who is responsible for this?” he asks. Her teacher gives the classmates two options either the person confesses or you will have extra homework all night long for this semester. Angela thinks if she should take the blame then everyone would congratulate her, and call her a hero. So they don’t get any homework.

Angela’s expectations were realistic because mostly kids would lie for their classmates or for their friends. You would mostly lie because you don’t want to get that person on trouble or you don’t want to get extra stuff. This is like when this kid my old class had did something sneaky, and our teacher had found that someone did something. No one told the truth. The room was really quiet than. She had said if no one confessed we couldn’t go out to recess, I really wanted to go outside but I didn’t want to lie. Then this girl rose and said it was her and it wasn’t. She had to stay in. So then I decided to tell the teacher it really was someone else. He had to stay in for a week. In conclusion Angela stood up for her classmates, and got on really deep trouble, and no one was proud of her for standing up to the class. :mrgreen:

14. Teresa C ( pink jello) says:

TEJAS! :x
    I LIKE YOUR CONNECTION! :razz:
    I DON’T THINK ANYBODY THOUGHT OF THAT!! :shock:
    GOOD JOB! :mrgreen:

15. Teresa C. ( pink jello) says:

ARE YOU FEELING BETTER MS.ZICHA?

16. Robert says:

Angela decides to take the blame for the broken window. While the teacher was gone the boys in the class wanted to throw around th football. The football hit the window causing it to break. Nobody wanted to confess. The teacher said that if nobody would confess he will give extra homework and essays. So Angela decides to take the blame. Angela believes if she does so her classmates will think of her as a hero. She thinks that classmates will do this because she saved them from getting extra homework. This reminds me of when i was in kindergarten and i did something bad a someone else took the blame. This is similar because th same happened in this story. I don’t think that Angela’s expectations were realistic because if you break a window your not going to get of that easy. I think that she should have just stayed silent because that would be better. In conclusion Angela thinks that taking the blame for something she didn’t do will be better but really it makes things worse

17. Nick #8 says:

When Angela decides to take responsibility for the broken window she didn’t break, she imagines how her classmates would treat her. Angela thinks that her classmates will carry her on their shoulders and be proud of her. Angela thinks that they will be nice to her because she basically saved the students who actually broke the window from receiving a severe punishment.

I don’t think that Angela’s expectations for the punishment were realistic. Angela thought that the punishment wouldn’t be very bad because her teacher, Mr. Phillips liked her as a person. But, when Angela confessed that she broke the window, Mr. Phillips gave her in school suspension for 3 days and she must pay for the broken window. Angela didn’t get the results that she expected.

18. Jules Rules #4 says:

When Angela decides to take responsibility for the broken window, she imagines how her classmates will treat her. Angela thinks that is she takes the blame for the window that Mr. Phillips will give her a break and her classmates will think of her as a hero. When Angela arrived at her 5th period class her teacher wasn’t there yet, so the students thought it would be fun to throw a football around. Angela did not participate because she learned from her brothers that throwing a football around was very dangerous. Inevitably, the football was thrown through the window causing broken glass scattered around the floor. When Mrs. Phillips showed up he was determined to give the entire class an assigned essay each night for homework until December unless someone spoke up.

I think Angela’s expectations were unrealistic. One of my reasons for this answer is that breaking something, especially on school grounds, is very bad. Also this could ruin her reputation for honor role. This reminds me of when my friend and I were playing at his house when he accidentally broke his own window. :shock: . WE were too afraid to confess and face consequences so we never admitted the truth. In conclusion, Angela took the blame of breaking the window and is now facing in-school detention and a list of chores and punishments at home.

P.S. Anyone know when Zeek (Ms. Zicha) is going to be back? Green class isn’t the same and I would like to have TG this week!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: