BLUE- Watch Your Step! OEQ

Open Ended Question

The author of “Watch Your Step!” seems to know a lot about jellyfish.

• Is the author afraid of jellyfish?  Explain.
  • Do you think jellyfish are animals that should be feared?  Why or why not?

Use details and examples from the article to support your response.

9 Responses to “BLUE- Watch Your Step! OEQ”

1. Gaurav (gman) says:

The author of “Watch Your Step!” seems to know a lot about jellyfish. He gives facts that are helpful to sailors and to ordinary people. The author also gives facts of how to treat a jellyfish sting. I think that the author is not afraid of jellyfish. He probably has experienced a jellyfish sting or has seen someone get stung.

I think that jellyfish are animals that should not be feared. Jellyfish are beautiful creatures that have a reputation of stinging if someone bothers it. This is the only time it would sting someone. Also, every animal should be treated well, even if they have a reputation of doing something bad. I remember a time when I used to be afraid of getting checked in hockey. However, I overcame my fear and I started to check other people. In conclusion, the author is not afraid of jellyfish and jellyfish should be treated well with care and respect.

I’m done.
    :lol:

2. Shefali says:

nice!!

3. Raghav P says:

In “Watch Your Step” the author seems he knows a lot about jellyfish. The author gives physical details about jellyfish. He/she also gives advice on how to stay safe from jellyfish. In addition the author is not afraid of jellyfish. If he were, he would most probably say they are very harmful and mean sea creatures. He/she sees them as interesting creatures.
    I think jellyfish are animals that shouldn’t be feared. The only way jellyfish can hurt you is if you disturb them. If you “brush against them in the water you are most likely to feel a sharp sting on the area of contact.” This remind me of the time when I was scared of snakes. I heard that the King Coral snake is very venomous. I read a passage from a book telling me how to tell the King Coral snake from another snake with similar colors. “Red touches black, poisonous lack, red touches yellow, kills a fellow,” was the rhyme I read. In conclusion, harmful animals won’t hurt you if you leave them alone.
    ;-)

4. Raghav P says:

;-) :smile:

5. Matt K says:

The author of “Watch your Step” knows a lot of information about jellyfish. Jellyfish are sea creatures who have a deadly sting. The jellyfish are made up of 98% water, so they don’t have bones , a brain, a heart and no eyes or ears. The author is probably afraid of jellyfish. He may have gotten stung by a jellyfish and has been scared of them ever since. Now he wants to teach people about jellyfish. Why would he write about jellyfish and why they sting people?
    These animals do have a dangerous sting but they mean no harm. They cannot control their sting because they don’t have a brain. They are only trying to protect themselves. I do not believe these animals should be feared because you can just let them go and avoid them and they won’t hurt you. This reminds me when my Mom got stung by a jellyfish and she wasn’t frightened. In conclusion, the author is afraid of jellyfish and is trying to educate people that you should not be afraid of jellyfish.

6. Palavi D. (Jellybean) says:

:arrow: ‘The author of “Watch your step” seems to know a lot about jellyfish.’ This proves that he/she took the time to study the exotic animals. Also he/she clearly warns us throughout the article that we should be careful where we go on the beach. The author describes how the jellyfish looks, and also stresses on how badly it stings. He/she may be describing them as the ‘beautiful sea creatures’, but I am sure he/she means that from a distance. He/she also lists some of the most dangerous jelly’s. So the whole passage suggests that the author is afraid of jellyfish.
    I am not certain that jellyfish should be altogether feared wild animals. As long as we stay cautious and let the jelly’s be, we shouldn’t have anything to worry about. But in contrast, if we go near it, or touch it, or maybe even harm its habitat. Then we can start to panic for that big swelled up red skin. I can relate the text to a book about sharks I read called, “Surprising Sharks” by Nicola Davies. It tells you that sharks really aren’t that bad, it tells you the harmful sharks and harmless sharks, the smallest shark to the largest shark, the outside of the shark to the inside of it. But the book also, most importantly, it remind you that more people kill sharks than sharks kill humans. So in conclusion, the author is afraid of jellyfish though he needn’t be.

:mrgreen:

7. Nikita says:

You remembered Suprising Sharks author during the timed writing :o :?: :?: :?: immpressive :grin: :!: :!:

8. Aslesha says:

nice job! nice connection!

9. Shefali P. says: