ORANGE- Watch Your Step! OEQ

Open Ended Question

The author of “Watch Your Step!” seems to know a lot about jellyfish.

• Is the author afraid of jellyfish?  Explain.
  • Do you think jellyfish are animals that should be feared?  Why or why not?

Use details and examples from the article to support your response.

24 Responses to “ORANGE- Watch Your Step! OEQ”

1. Gopa says:

First one to post, yeah!!! :grin: Hope you like my OEQ :mrgreen: .

The author of this article is most likely an expert on sea creatures or is a scuba diver. This expert knows a whole lot about jellyfish. When he/she mentioned jellyfish, he said it could give you a nasty sting. Even though he starts off describing a jellyfish like a harmless creature, they seem to get more vicious as the story moves on. At one point, the author even said that there could be a jellyfish the size of a cruise ship!! :shock: :o the author cautioned us to “watch our step” right in the title of the article, so I personally think that the man or woman who wrote the article is afraid of jellyfish.
    Jellyfish are no regular animals. They can be really deadly. If you come across a Portuguese man-of-war :evil: one day, it could possibly kill you. My cousin came across a jellyfish once. It was not a pretty experience. My sister, my cousin, my mom and dad and I were at the beach. My cousin, sister and I were taking a walk down the shore, collecting shells if we saw any. Unfortunately, there lay a dead jellyfish washed up ojn the shore. We were too caught up in what we were doing to see it. My cousin’s foot brushed against the creature and she screamed in agony and surprise. She had just been stung by a dead jellyfish. We had to treat her and put ice on where she had been stung. Luckily, this jellyfish was small and harmless and my cousin was fine, even today. However, she has developed a phobia of jellyfish. That’s why you must be careful with sea creatures like these. I hope you never experience the agonizing sting of a jellyfish.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Hope I did well!

2. Nikita says:

Nice job, Gopa!!! ;-) Big surprise :shock: !!!!!!!!
    Okay so here goes my OEQ:

The author of “Watch Your Step!” seems to know a lot about jellyfish. I think the author is not afraid of jellyfish :cool: because he is fascinated by them :shock: . He has probably done a lot of research about them :roll: . As he has gone close enough to them to recognize they are, “a blob of clear or purplish squishy gel with several tentacles attached to it” it seems impossible that he would be afraid of them :twisted: . The author states numerous facts about these creatures such as the fact that its body is 98% water :lol: . The author goes on to tell that it moves through the water using a pumping motion and its sting comes naturally :shock: . Next, the author states the steps you should follow if you are unfortunate enough to get stung by one :x :sad: :cry: . “If stung, you should wash the wounded area with vinegar, as this will neutralize or lesson the effects of the poison :shock: :shock: . The author concludes by saying that you should watch where you are walking on the beach in case of a jellyfish washed on shore. :!: :!: :!:
    I think jellyfish should be animals that are feared :twisted: :shock: because if you are afraid :shock: :cry: of something, chances are you will stay away from it. :oops: Staying away from these majestic :mrgreen: yet dangerous :twisted: invertebrate is important because while most are not, some jellyfish are fatal :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: . I can relate this to a time when I was at the beach. It was a sunny afternoon and the sky didn’t have a cloud in sight. :razz: I waded into the cool, blue water :mrgreen: . A dead jellyfish was washed onto the shore. :twisted: I jumped back in alarm :shock: . I bent down to touch it, when I saw a lifeguard practically running toward me. :x He told me not to touch it. :???: I obeyed him. :cool: In conclusion, jellyfish look very majestic but they can also be fatal :twisted: .

3. Shefali says:

Awesome!!!!! :!: :!: ;-)

4. Shefali says:

I like the way you put in the faces!!!!! :smile:

5. Nikita says:

thanks!!!!!
    -Nikita
    P.S. How are you feeling Ms. Zicha????????

6. Nikita says:

thanks Shefali!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. ajay s says:

The author of “watch your step” seems to know a lot about jellyfish. The author is not afraid of jellyfish. He had an experience and is alert to watch where he is stepping on the beach. He also knew that died jellyfish can sting you. he has gone threw the consequences and now knows what to do.

I think that jellyfish should be scared of humans. For example, humans can kill then easily. We are bigger then a small fish. It also isn’t alive. Lastly a jellyfish cant so many people at a beach or ocean. I can connect to this passage. One time a dog bite me. So i knew to near run from dogs.

In conclusion, the author isn’t scared of jellyfish. Also jellyfishes should be scared be scared of humans.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: THANK YOU :evil: :evil: :evil:

8. Arvind S says:

The author of “Watch Your Step” seems to know a lot about jellyfish. I do not think that the author is afraid of jellyfish. When people are afraid of something, they don’t usually write about it. The author also put a lot of influence in their writing, so the author is probably not afraid of it. The author also couldn’t have learned all this by just reading about it either. The author must have stepped on a jellyfish before and got stung. That must have got the author curious about jellyfish. They must have also picked a jellyfish up before and examined it. The author probably ran a few tests with it also. This made the author lose all fear. I inferred this because the author knows the consequences on touching a jellyfish. That is why, I think the author is not afraid of touching a jellyfish.
    I think, unlike the author, that jellyfish should be feared. They can be fatal, hurt you, and do a bunch of other things to hurt you. What do they do to help us? The jellyfish also have to be treated immediately. Not treated immediately, you can die. On time a professional soccer player got whacked in the face by a cleat. The medical staff let him play for 10 more minutes before coming on the field. At that point blood was dripping of his face. Two minutes later he died. See, no immediate treatment came and because of this the player died. Same thing can happen if you get stung by a jellyfish. They are vicious! You should really fear jellyfish.

9. Arvind S. says:

I think, unlike the author, that jellyfish should be feared. They can be fatal, hurt you, and do a bunch of other things to hurt you. What do they do to help us? The jellyfish also have to be treated immediately. Not treated immediately, you can die. On time a professional soccer player got whacked in the face by a cleat. The medical staff let him play for 10 more minutes before coming on the field. At that point blood was dripping of his face. Two minutes later he died. See, no immediate treatment came and because of this the player died. Same thing can happen if you get stung by a jellyfish. They are vicious! You should really fear jellyfish a lot.

10. Gopa says:

Great job everyone so far!! :twisted:
    Get well soon Ms. Zicha!! :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: Hope you’re feeling better and you’re at school tomorrow!! :mrgreen:

11. Matthew G. says:

:cool: :cry: ;-) :| :x :twisted: :smile: :shock: :sad: :roll: :razz: :oops: :o :mrgreen: :lol: :idea: :grin: :evil: :cry: :!: :?: :???: hehe this my oeq
    The author of “Watch Your Step!” seems to know a lot about jellyfish. I wouldn’t think the author is afraid of jellyfish. They probably stepped on one before and it hurt so the author is just cautious about it. She is warning us to be aware of jellyfish so they don’t sting us and ruin our day because it will hurt.
    Again, I don’t think jellyfish should be feared. People should just be cautious about if they see one or where they are stepping. As the author said, “even dead one laying on the shore can still sting you.” If you happened to live in Australia where some of the deadliest ones live then you might fear them a little. Just be sure you don’t step on one. A connection I have is at a beach party my friend got stung by a jellyfish. I had never got stung by one so I didn’t know how it felt. He said it only hurt for a day or two though. In closing, the author of this passage warns you about jellyfish and not to step on them.

12. Anjali says:

“The author of “Watch Your Step!” seems to know a lot about jellyfish!” I don’t think the author is afraid of jellyfish because, they don’t show an opinion about them. When the author describes jellyfish to us he/ she made a remark about how spectacular they look. As the revealing passage continued he/ she also said that jellyfish shouldn’t be thought of as mean creatures. Additionally, the voice the author used seemed calm. I believe that the goal of the author was to simply inform everyone about jellyfish, the good and bad about them!
    Jellyfish are creatures that shouldn’t be feared. Even though they sting whatever they come in contact with, they don’t do it intentionally. Like humans they are magnificent creatures which are capable of both great good and great evil, “It is best to stay away from these beautiful sea animals.” Before I read this story in 2009, I went to the Outer Banks with my family. While there, as I was strolling along the shore, I unfortunately plunged my foot into a delicate jellyfish head. Luckily, there weren’t any tentacles attached to it so, so I didn’t get stung. After reading this piece I’m truly grateful for what happened that day. Similarly, once in a book I read, a young girl visited the aquarium hoping to see a variety of things. When she came across the jellyfish, it half amazed her, half frightened her. Later on in the novel, she learned not to be afraid of them anymore. In the end, I think that all the research the author did, told him jellyfish are not to be feared. This stunning passage showed me to feel the same way about these mysterious creatures that lurk under our seas!

13. Nikita says:

nice OEQ Anjali!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    P.S. Is everyone ready for the NJASK???? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

14. Nicolas says:

The author of “Watch Your Step!” seems to know a lot about Jelly Fish.

No. I don’t think the author is afraid of jelly fish because he seems to know about them. I also don’t think so because he sounds like a doctor because he told you what to do if you get stung by a jelly fish. In the story the story the author tells us about jelly fish. He tells the read were they life. He also tells us that most common jelly fishes aren’t poisonous, but there are some that are. Lastly the author the us what to do if you get stung by a jelly fish.
    I think jelly fish should be worried about because they are 98 percent water and if you are playing in the water you won’t see it and you will get stung. I can relate to this one of my friends siblings got stung by a jelly fish and and she told me in hurt.
    To sum it up the article is about to make sure you don’t encounter a jelly fish.

– Nicolas :smile:

15. Sonali says:

Nice Oeq Gopa!!!!!! (and everyone else) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The author of “Watch Your Step!” seems to know a lot about jellyfish. The author is not afraid of jellyfish, becuase he uses nice words while describing them. For, example, in paragraph 5, the author calls jellyfish, “beautiful sea animals.” Also, the author says that jellyfish are not mean are cruel. They can’t help themselves. The author does not seem to be scared of jellyfish.
    I think that jellyfish should be feared because they are dangerous. Some jellyfish stings can kill a person. Jellyfish are beautiful and graceful animals, but I think that people should remain a safe distance from them and fear them. This doesn’t mean that they should be hated. Once, when I was younger, I accidentally got too close to a bee’s nest, and a bee stung me. It hurt quite a bit, and I have learned to stay away from bee nests. Bees are fascinating creatures, but they can sting. In conclusion, I do not think the author is scared of jellyfish, but I think that we should be scared of them.

P.S. Miss Zicha, how are you feeling?

16. Aslesha says:

Nice job! I agree with Shefali.

17. Aslesha says:

good job!

18. Aslesha says:

good job sonali!

19. braden says:

whatssssssssssss goooooooooddddddddddddd mssss. zzziccchaaaaaa???????? :!:

20. Braden says:

The author of watch your step seems to know a lot about jellyfish. He shows it by stating every detail about them with support. The author is most likely not afraid of jellyfish because he knows everything about them. Everything that he said was 100% true. I show no fear of jellyfish because I have been stung before numerous times and I am used to it.

Jellyfish are not mean. They cannot help what they sting. The barbs on the stinger are so sensitive that if you even lightly rub your finger against them they will go off. Jellyfish should not be hated, but should be respected. I have been stung in Belmar a lot of times, and all of those times, the lifeguard had vinegar and the pain went away. We should not want to kill jellyfish. We should love them.

21. tiffany says:

;-) :| :x :twisted: :smile: :shock: :sad: :roll: :razz: :oops: :mrgreen: :lol: :idea: :grin: :evil: :cry: :cool: :arrow: :???: :?: :!:
    In the story “watch your step” the author seems to know a lot about jelly fish. I don’t think the author is scared. He is informing us about jellyfish so in my opinion I don’t think he is.
    In my opinion I do think jellyfish should be feared. Even if they are dead they can still sting and it really hurts. I can relate to jelly fish. One time at the beach I collected a whole bunch. This is what i think about jellyfish.

22. tiffany says: